so confused about cat carrier sizes

Maisie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all!

I need a new carrier for a stray cat that showed up a few months ago. I took him to a vet recently and the carrier I'd bought from chewy.com was too small. it worked for that day but he was unhappy being scrunched in there, couldn't stand or turn around. he is apparently a long cat according to the vet.

some sites I've researched recommend getting a carrier 1.5 times the cat's length, but then almost all the carriers on Chewy would be too small.

the cat's approximate measurements:
nose to base of tail: 22 inches
ground to head: 15 inches
chest to base of tail: 19 inches

so would I need a carrier that is at least 22x1.5=33 inches long? and 15 inches high?

Thanks!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you using/looking at the soft mesh carrier bags or the plastic "kennels" as they call them? The mesh carriers only come so big because they're intended to be slung over one shoulder and rest at your hip. The plastic kennels come in larger sizes.
Try searching for dog carriers. I had a 18lb kitty who wasn't fat, just big, and she would only fit in a medium sized dog carrier.
I want to say this is around the size I have for my cat.
Plus, you won't need one that's from head to tail x 1.5. Carriers have to do a dual job - be big enough for a pet to be reasonably comfortable, but small enough to safely contain them in the event of an incident (like a car wreck.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which carrier did you buy that was too small?

Are you looking at crate sizing charts aimed at dogs? Cats don't need a carrier that is 1.5 times their length. These charts might be designed for dog owners that keep their dogs in crates overnight.

Personally, I like the Petmate 24" top load carrier, and find it to be big enough for large cats.

If you don't feel a 24" carrier is large enough, the next size up is a 28" dog crate like the one listed above by Mr. Meow. I have a couple of these in the 28" size:
I have used the 28" size crates for mothers with litters, multiple cats in one crate, or longer trips with a small litter box inside the crate. I find this size to be a bit too big and unwieldy for taking one cat to the vet, but if you want a really big crate, it's an option. You definitely don't need a crate bigger than this, though.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Check out PetSmart or Petco. I would go with the hard carrier rather soft sided.
I just measured my large Petmate Kennel Cab and it's 23" long and almost 15" high.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I second the PetMate with top load. My 14 pound long legged boy is pretty comfortable with it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are happy squishing themselves into shoe boxes and other things to nap in so a temporary squish into a large carrier to go to the vet and back is no big deal :) You don't need one of those jumbo bulky dog sized carriers. A large / extra large carrier you can comfortably carry or wheel around is fine. I have this Petmate double door one that measures 19.5 x 13 x 7 inches:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maisie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the recommendations and advice, everyone. I'm going to get him a hard carrier, probably the 24" to start.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are happy squishing themselves into shoe boxes and other things to nap in so a temporary squish into a large carrier to go to the vet and back is no big deal :) You don't need one of those jumbo bulky dog sized carriers. A large / extra large carrier you can comfortably carry or wheel around is fine. I have this Petmate double door one that measures 19.5 x 13 x 7 inches:

IMO, spot on. The smaller the carrier the easier it is to carry. As carriers get larger, it moves your arm away from your body, awkward, feels heavier, and just hard to manage. And there's less room inside for the cat to move around and shift the weight/balance of the carrier.
This carrier I use is 22" long. He's as long as a loveseat and has no problems turning around.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my favorite carrier. It's 24"x16.63"x13.75", and inexpensive. It can fit pretty much any cat without being obnoxiously huge. I don't like the smaller cat carriers, except for kittens and ferrets, guinea pigs, etc.
That looks just like the one I use :chessirecat:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep that's probably it. The inside measurement might be 22". I'll tell the cats to be grateful they have a bobcat-sized carrier next time :D.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who ever opens that one is in for one heck of a surprise! Lol
Yep. He got me good once when he was a kitten. Wouldn't come out of his carrier one day. I hadn't noticed that our other cat was behind me, and she wasn't happy.
I just reached in that carrier, slid my hand under his belly, picked him up, and pulled him out.
He balled up on my arm and went to chewing. I was pretty sure we were both going to ER :lol:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok......so I measured our carriers for the boys.

Outside dimensions, 28 inches long, 20 inches wide and 20 inches high.

Yup, they are big, yup they are unwieldy, but i manage. I want my boys to be comfortable. Arnold lying down (head to butt, not stretched out) is about 26 inches long and 13inches wide. Greg is a bit shorter but not much and only a pound or so lighter.

Like Patrick Swazye said in the movie Dirty Dancing........."no one puts baby in a corner"...lol

Here are my "babies" contemplating "having a guest for dinner".

20191021_191726-1.jpg

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purr-fect Purr-fect
WOW! I don't think I could carry one that size. Mine is smaller and it gets really awkward. If he starts going front to back, trying to pace? I have to stop and set it down. :lol:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purr-fect Purr-fect
WOW! I don't think I could carry one that size. Mine is smaller and it gets really awkward. If he starts going front to back, trying to pace? I have to stop and set it down. :lol:
Years of weightlifting. And my boys are lighter than yours.