So, cats learning to open doors. . .

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course she still scratches my rug when I'm not looking. oiy
From my father, who was a VERY wise man, "You teach a dog what not to do, You teach a cat what not to get caught at."

This is Hekitty, my furry little soccer ball:

Teh Sprawl 2.jpg

Hekitty can open every door in this house, both those with levers and those with round knobs. Every cabinet. Every closet. The fridge (but she doesn't eat people food, and gave up on that). EVERY DOOR! My front and back doors remain deadlocked at all times. HOWEVER...my interior doors are blocked opened with cast iron door stops because she will also CLOSE doors, and once she does, rather than open them herself, she YOWLS until I come and "let her out." As if she needed me. If she ever figures out the hand-cranks for the casement windows, I'm in deep trouble! Welcome to the wonderful world of torties!

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[Youtube][/youtube]

Yup, I'll be in my bathroom doing my thing all of a sudden my cat bursts in. If I leave the door unlocked all I hear is whines and scratches at the door. So it's either hear that or just let your catch what you do your thing which can get uncomfortable having eyes on you while you try to pee. Human or animal I dont want eyes on me while I'm doing my thing :p

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I swear, some days it seems like Buddy is developing opposable thumbs. :wink:
Tell me about it! Yesterday, Hek picked up a jingle ball and was turning it, looking at it. Once they finish this process, we'll be on the floor, and they'll be on the sofa with the remote. And there is just SO MUCH Youtube Chirping Bird vidoes that I can tolerate!

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Socks can also open doors, but only from the outside. Some of the other cats have done this on occasion. This morning my teenager shut the kitten in the kitchen during breakfast as he was climbing onto the dining room table and trying to eat his cereal, but Amber went over to the door and let him out.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm always impressed when there is teamwork. Years ago Snicky and Rusty would open the screen door by Snicky working the handle from the counter and Rusty pushing it open. They never kept it open long enough to get out but Snicky knew to unlock it before pushing the handle.

If you hit the bathroom door hard enugh when it's latched it will pop open. Neither Yoshi or Sqeeker can do it on their own but will run down the hall and hit it at the same time.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always impressed when there is teamwork. Years ago Snicky and Rusty would open the screen door by Snicky working the handle from the counter and Rusty pushing it open. They never kept it open long enough to get out but Snicky knew to unlock it before pushing the handle.

If you hit the bathroom door hard enugh when it's latched it will pop open. Neither Yoshi or Sqeeker can do it on their own but will run down the hall and hit it at the same time.
One of my firsts

One of my girls, devilish Murphy, figured out she could open the bathroom door by taking a leap at it and basically kicking it open. So when a guest was using it I needed to be poised to make a grab for her before they found the door wide open. But hovering near your bathroom door when a guest was using it was also unsettling for both them and me.