so cats associate place with negative experience?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Rivel has diarrhea, which doctor give her medicine for a week. (Either because i changed her food or the antibiotics prescribed after spay).

The past week i just mix the medicine in her food (capsule with powder inside) but yesterday she suddenly know the food is laced with bitter medicine and won't eat a bit. I have to throw the food and medicine away and make new one before she wants it.

I resorted to orally administering the capsule, but failed as i don't have assistant and she seems quite mad / scared at me. I did it when she was loafing in our sofa, but now she seems to avoid the sofa because she connected the place as where the human is being very annoying. Will it go away? I love the sofa and we often take naps together on it, i don't want our bonding place to be ruined because of this :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Now i have to find other way to give her medicine. It's so hard when they think you are trying to annoy or hurt them when what we really do is help :(

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you know this already, but you could try pill pockets, which put a pill inside a hollow treat. Doesn't work that well for most cats as far as I've seen, but they can work for small pills for some cats. There is also something called pill poppers that I've never used and wouldn't think would help much from the description, but several have said that helps.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the pill pockets, etc. don't work, could you mix the powder with canned tuna or chicken water - just enough to mask the taste so you know Rivel takes the entire pill contents? I did that with some meds I had to give Feeby that tasted so bad she foamed from the mouth, but she had no problem lapping it up when mixed with the tuna or chicken water. I would then give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward.

You can also try mixing the powder with baby food meats (Gerber, Beechnut). That has also worked for me in giving Feeby meds she didn't want to take otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the pill pockets, etc. don't work, could you mix the powder with canned tuna or chicken water - just enough to mask the taste so you know Rivel takes the entire pill contents? I did that with some meds I had to give Feeby that tasted so bad she foamed from the mouth, but she had no problem lapping it up when mixed with the tuna or chicken water. I would then give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward.
Good idea. I will try it tomorrow thank u.