Snowshoe or ?

perle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Rebel, his mother is an American Bob, father Siamese. Rebel has the 4 white feet and blue eyes, but missing the white blaze face.
20221106_163717.jpg
20230206_124404.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The coloring is the same as a snowshoe, yes.. but he isnt not showshoe, he is a seal point and white.
This combo tends to cause they darken up on the body quicker and more than a common seal point.... Why, I dont know, but I have seen this many times.

He isnt even a look alike... Snowshoes are constructed on siamese old point as base, so they are quite lean and with somewhat prolonged muzzle... Not the extreme as modern siameses have, but still, noticeably longer than your boy.

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
When you say "mother is an American Bob, father Siamese" do either of those cats have papers or do you have information about the breeders? Do you have any pictures? I'm particularly curious about the American Bob. What color is she? In order for this cat to be this color, both the mother and the father have to be pointed or carry colorpoint.

As for this cat, he is a white mitted seal sepia with white or a very dark white mitted seal mink. If he is older or has been ill, possibly mink, but much more likely to be sepia.

Colorpoints are temperature-dependent colors, so they are much darker on their cold extremities than their torso. Most people think of the Siamese-style colorpoint when they think of pointed cats, but Balinese cats have much darker fur on their torso, which is a different variation of the same gene, resulting in a color called "sepia". If you mix a sepia cat and a siamese-style colorpoint, you get a cat that is directly between the parents in coloration called a "mink". Because the coloration is dependent on the temperature, cats in very cold areas or cats with poor circulation (usually older or sick cats) tend to be a lot darker than warm-weather healthy, young pointed cats.

A separate gene causes white-spotting, and this particular pattern of white is called "mitted". It is similar to what is seen in Snowshoe cats, but is much more of a genetic look-alike, especially given the parents being two different breeds. (Or of mixed ancestry, if the parents aren't papered).

He's adorable! I adore pointed cats; they're so unique and they keep changing colors throughout their lifetimes.