Snowshoe Lineage Question

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,
I am volunteering at the Humane Society. We just got in 3 sister "snowshoes"... I say snowshoe with hesitancy, because they are obviously not True Bred Snowshoes...

I could not get pictures because they are scared and hiding..

My descriptions are:

They all have the Mask--- but in grey and with grey points...

The "snowshoe" markings, (mask) is grey.. can that be?
2 with short fur
one with medium length fur.

One of the short fur has a white face but a grey mask; the other short furred one has a grey mask with some grey around the face. This one also has grey tabby markings for socks, on her front paws...

I am completely out in left field when I think this; but, this is kind of my opinion.. I need help with this...corrections, please!!

I am thinking one parent was a Snowshoe-- pet quality...and another parent was a grey tabby?, or a grey tabby with long hair?

Can Snowshoes have long hair?? or is the long hair a grandparent thing?

I am just going by me seeing 3 siblings.. thinking that Mendels theory of one out of 4 will take a gene.. or am I wrong? High School Genetics never stuck to me... even though I had a lot of human genetics in the work I used to do... I would just ask a Genetic Counselor these questions; alas, I have not worked for a long time...

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Just my curiosity... not really necessary for the humane society, but I would really like to adequately answers questions, when I am asked..

These kitties, adults, are being promoted, but I say they are non-show, snowshoes...

BTW.. they are very sweet and scared.. they just came in last night...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally speaking, I wouldn't label them as snowshoes as the true breed is extremely rare. I have a strong personal dislike of rescues giving breed names to cats knowing they are not that breed. Even calling them a non-show "breed" name is misleading and perpetuates the myth that cats are always a mix of specific breeds. In truth most cats are not a specific breed but simply domestic. The cats breeds as we know them today have only been around for about a 150 years and are variations on naturally occurring coat patterns, behaviors and appearances that are not confined to just that breed. Meaning that most looks will pop up randomly when you get the right mix together and that true purebred lines just haven't been around or intermixed enough to be spread throughout the entire cat population. You can have a cat who is a dead ringer for a known breed but it isn't and may not have any relation to that breed.

My girl Rocket is a snowshoe lookalike but she is not one.I call her it for ease of description sometimes and I joke she looks like it. But she is a former ferals who had a long line of ferals with enough point and Bicolor in the color mix that eventually she was born.

IMG_20180817_055155.jpg

Snowshoes are a short hair pointed breed that have blue eyes, the sterotypically pointed coloring with a white inverted v bicolor patterning. Grey wouldn't be part of that, the point gene basically hides true coloring when they are young and their color will darken and develop with age. It could be they are a different patterning if they have blue eyes but not necessarily the typical bicolor and inverted v snowshoes are known for. There is a long hair variation to this breed that is larger called a ragdoll that is similar in general coloration. The point gene itself is a recessive trait and the kittens have to get a copy from Mom and Dad to express it. Neither mom nor dad have to express it themselves. If both parents are pointed, all kittens will be pointed. If one parent is pointed and the other carries the gene, each kitten has a 50% chance indvidually of being pointed. If neither show but both carry, each kitten has a 25% chance. So the chances of all three girls being pointed depends on what Mom and Dad were/are.

Some younger pointed cats can appear grey for a time while their color is developing so that may be what you are seeing if they are younger. Usually the 3-8 month period. This is my boy Link at 6 months and he was more in the grey range.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the detailed info..

Honestly, I really did not think they are true SnowShoes.. but may have someone in their ancestry, due to the masking..

They have the mask around their eyes..and it is very prominent...

I am not the one who designated them s Snowshoes... the rescuer did....

I just want to now the correct information, when I show them.. to potential adopters.. I do not want to give out the wrong information...
Do not want anyone to believe they are adopting a true Snowshoe, when they infact, not....

any other information is greatly appreciated...

thanks...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As soon as you can get some photos we can give better answers. But for now, a mask if it is like what you see in my photo, plus blue eyes would mean pointed gene.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
And what does that mean: pointed gene?

Dumb question, but...,

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pointed gene is a heat sensitive albinism genetic trait. It is what causes the traditional Siamese look of having a darker face, tail and legs with a lighter body. Cats with it will be born pure white and get darker at their extremities as they age. Since the genes have been shared and spread it is found in cats who are not Siamese but that is where it started.

This thread has examples of pointed (AKA colorpoint) growing up, Colorpoint Before & After Photos

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A question is if they are all there were in the litter - which hints both parents points.

Or if they were selected them being points, the others littermates got another fate?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This second would hint one parent a point one non pointed pointgene carrier.

If momma was a tuxedo and the point gene comes into play,

We easily get a snowshoe look alike.