Snowshoe...ish?

frankiecatsle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would love some advice on how to describe my new little guy. One person said he was a snowshoe (though that seems fairly uncommon), I've heard all different sort of suggestions about seal points and I honestly don't really know what that means or what the differences are. I got him from a friend of my sister's and she updated me with pictures since he was born so a little background: mama cat is a tuxedo, dad is unknown, he was all white when he was born and slowly his darker areas began to form. When I first got him they were more gray and now some parts of him are black (darker than appears in the pictures). His tail is pretty much black and the rim around his ears are black, the rest is still shading in and he gets darker by the day. His paw pads are a mixture, some parts are pink and others are more brownish.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's so cute! I would describe your cat as a seal point and white domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed. Genetically, seal point and white is almost the same as a black and white "tuxedo cat" but with the addition of two copies of the recessive gene for colorpoint. The colorpoint gene originally came from the Siamese about 70 years ago, but at this time is widespread in the domestic cat gene pool and doesn't indicate any recent breed ancestry. Your cat's father might have been any color, but we know that he carried at least one copy of the colorpoint gene, as did your cat's mother.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankiecatsle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's so cute! I would describe your cat as a seal point and white domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed. Genetically, seal point and white is almost the same as a black and white "tuxedo cat" but with the addition of two copies of the recessive gene for colorpoint. The colorpoint gene originally came from the Siamese about 70 years ago, but at this time is widespread in the domestic cat gene pool and doesn't indicate any recent breed ancestry. Your cat's father might have been any color, but we know that he carried at least one copy of the colorpoint gene, as did your cat's mother.
Thank you! I've been reading a bit myself but honestly, the seal point, color point, snowshoe stuff all just runs together for me. That probably sounds utterly foolish. :lol: Either way, I can't wait to see how his colors change as he ages. Thank you again.