Snowball is in the Veterinarian Hospital

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe your Vet figured an enema was needed, because she felt and saw poop on the x-ray, so figured that a full clean out was better...and would provide immediate relief.
It is strange that Snowball was still pooping twice a day, yet still had more inside...but hopefully with doing the full enema under anesthesia, she could get it all out.

(My cat needed an enema a few weeks ago, but she stopped eating, drinking, and pooping. Vet first did bloodwork and urine analysis...all within limits, but showed dehydration. Then taken in again for x-ray and enema two days later, because I was worried about constipation. With mine, the enema did work as well as mirtazapine and cerenia to get her to eat again.)

(This page talks about how the enema is done:
Treatment of the constipated cat | VETgirl Veterinary CE Blog
It's done over a few hours, and it really helped my cat to poop. She also had a partial obstruction, but it did not show up on X-rays.
The Vet found what looked like a piece of scouring pad, which is highly strange, since my female cat will not eat anything except 'wet pate cat food', and some dry,...and the poop was not sent out for any analysis, ...so I don't really know how big a piece, or what it was from, or what colour, etc.)

With your Snowball, the Vet probably just wants to make sure that he is well hydrated, and like the others said, that he is eating, drinking, using the litter box and recovering well.

My worry would also be about Snowball losing weight, and how much, and the lethargy part.
But Vets do things in steps to rule things out, ...so I'm really hoping that your Snowball gets to feeling better very soon, after his full enema.

For the future, I would ask about what di and bob di and bob mentioned, about adding the miralax

and also ask if a fiber diet would help.
Snowball had started to loosing weight..and thats why I took him to vet initially...When they felt his stomach was swollen..they did an x-ray..n that showed he was full of poop...
Well did an enema under anesthesia...
He came home next day
And NOW a month later...hes acting like he dont feel well again..Called the vet n sending out ..Famotidine and Psyllum...
And said about high fiber diet..but not too much fiber
Could the enema be making him feel bad a month later
The procedure
He is almost 12yrs..

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Snowball had started to loosing weight..and thats why I took him to vet initially...When they felt his stomach was swollen..they did an x-ray..n that showed he was full of poop...
He came home next day
And NOW a month later...hes acting like he dont feel well again..Called the vet n sending out ..Famotidine and Psyllum...
The procedure
He is almost 12yrs..
What is he acting like now? Not eating?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
What is he acting like now? Not eating?
Hes eating some....and drinking some...but not really well...He acts like hes sick to me..laying around and sleeping alot more..He is almost 12 though...He acts like he just wants to lay around

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
He came home next day

The procedure
He is almost 12yrs..
No, I don't think that an enema would be making him feel bad a month later.

(With my cat, she was given an enema, ...then her poop was liquid, yellow and mushy....but then five days later she had a solid bowel movement with normal colour. So it took five days for her poop to return to normal. She was also given mirtazapine and cerenia...which she hated...since it caused her to drool...but she did return to eating normally. She's only five years old.)
Hes eating some....and drinking some...but not really well...He acts like hes sick to me..laying around and sleeping alot more..He is almost 12 though...He acts like he just wants to lay around
With your Snowball:
  1. how much weight has he lost? in the last month? or last six months?
  2. does he drink a lot of water?
  3. When he had his senior blood test, last month, ..did they do a SDMA kidney blood test.... to check his kidney function.
  4. Also did they check his thyroid levels? ...his teeth....mouth?

1. Is it very hot where you live, ....and does hot weather affect him?
  2. could he have gotten any fleas, ...ate them while licking and grooming, ...and then gotten a tapeworm.? ...I would bring in a stool sample and have them check for any parasites in the poop.

1. Are there any foods that he really likes....and always eats? Or can you put favourite toppers on his food...and get him to eat more.
It is really hard when you notice your cat not eating as much, and not acting like they usually do.
Extreme weight loss always worries me, and if they lay around and don't want to move.

I really hope you and your Vet figure out a good plan for Snowball....to get to feeling like he usually does.