Snotty Nose... No Other Symptoms?

4cats2moms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there! This is my first post on this forum and I’m hoping to get a few opinions on what my cat might be dealing with. (She HAS been to a vet, just doing some additional research!) :)

My girls name is Ivy, she’s a 2.5 year old Tortie. She has been dealing with noisy breathing and snotty nose for some time. She has been to the vet twice, and the vet gives her an antibiotic shot which helps for a little bit but it always comes back. She’s 100% herself other than the noisy breathing and nasal discharge. Eats, drinks, plays and demands attention as she always does.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be? Anyone experience this with their kitty? I have 4 cats and it does not affect the other 3 at all.

Thanks in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!! Thank goodness she's still eating. I can't help with what this might be, but have you tried a warm mister, or putting her in a bathroom with a steaming shower, 10-12 minutes a couple times a day!? It may help ease her airways.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. In addition to the great advice above, has the vet done any testing on the mucous from her nose? Looking for a specific type of bacteria - should there be any - would help to identify IF and what antibiotic might be best suited for her situation. While antibiotics can relieve symptoms for a while, if they are not the right one, they won't completely eradicate the bacteria.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest the vet do a real PCR URD (upper respiratory disease) test to rule out any kind of disease and then do a culture on the mucus to see if there's a bacterial or viral infection and a sensitivity test to see which antibiotics best treat it.