Snickerdoodle and her re-homing. :(

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

Its been awhile since I have been on here but its been crazy around here. In case everyone doesn't remember my dilemma with Snickers...i'll tell the story. 

Snickers had gotten sick 3 or 4 months ago. She had an upper respiratory infection which lead to her severe eye infection. The infection seemed to happen overnight. Her demeanor had already changed towards the others but we thought she just wasn't feeling good. Took her to the vet and he said that she should be quarantined in another room while the medications take effect. Two weeks go by and she is all better. I let her out of my room and all hell breaks loose. She was so scared...she hid in the little space in the basement ceiling. Its wasn't the others that did like her..she didn't like them. I blocked off any spaces she could wedge herself under. I even took the legs off the couch. After a day of hearing her growl non-stop and not even eating or drinking I finally put her in one of the bedrooms. She calmed down rather quickly once away from the others. I called the vet and he suggested Feliaway...which didn't work. I called him again and suggested putting a screen of some type in between the door and the rest of the house. The kids wanted to be nice but she didn't even try. I even tried putting food down on both sides of the door...it didn't work...she didn't even go to the food. So for the next few months she lived in the bedroom. I felt bad that she was living in the bedroom...and even thought I love her...decided she needed a new home without cats. 

So after a month of trying to find a new home for Snickers I almost gave up. I was starting to think maybe I should just give her up to the SPCA...where she might have a better chance. Until one day I get a text from one of my best friends and his girlfriend. They were coming to the SPCA near me to look at cats. I quickly told them about Snickers and asked if they could take her. They came to visit and instantly fell in love with her. So Snickers has a new home...with her as the only cat! They know she can't be with other cats and they are perfectly fine with that. 

I'm happy that she is finally a happy kitty...but I miss her a lot. I sometimes walk into the bedroom looking for her and then I remember she isn't there anymore.I still have the other 8...but I still miss her. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very glad you found a good new home for her... that is a very difficult thing to do and certainly may have worked out very differently if you'd taken her to the SPCA.

You must be very relieved and, even though you miss her, she has a great all-to-herself new home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We ended up taking him to the ER Vet because he was very lethargic and when he sneezed a thick green discharge came from his nose. They gave him to the SPCA but I think something must have happened to him because a few days later animal control put a letter on his door. They also have two orange tabbys about 6 months old that run outside, unaltered. The one tabby wandered on our porch. She was also sick...but we found her a home who could take care of her. She was a sweet girl but her sibling is still outside. He doesn't leave the property much but isn't so friendly.

But anyways...I am very relieved Snickers is happy.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While it was hard, I'm glad you were able to find Snickers a good home where she can be less stressed as the queen of the roost :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, golly.. it just breaks my heart to hear stories of how some cats are treated.

Thank you for doing the very best you can for the ones that came to you.