sneezy kitten

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our four month old Merida is super sneezy. I accidentally touched her on the nose one morning and it prompted like 5 sneezes in a row. she sneezes 2-3x a day. Sometimes single sneezes, sometimes many in a row. Nothing else appears to be a concern for her - no discharge from eyes/nose, still a very energetic kitten.

I called the vet, (and I did and have assumed it was seasonal allergies due to the time of onset for sneezes) and over the phone the vet told me it had to be an upper respiratory infection. So, ok - but 1. How would the kitten have gotten this when she had little outside contact? (last outside contact was a vet visit 2.5ish weeks ago? could have caught it there?) but then - 2. Why wouldn't the other cat have caught it by this point? The 10 mo old Yuri is chillin' & not sneezy.

Are seasonal allergies w/sneezing a thing for cats if this isn't an upper respiratory infection? Any other thoughts/advice for a sneezy kitten?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She definitely could have caught it at the vet. If she has a URI it is most likely the virus Feline Herpes. Which is NOT communicable to humans but is VERY contagious. You, a friend, or anyone could carry it in on your clothes, shoes, etc. like any virus. Many young kittens get it, it spreads throughout the family. It usually comes with a runny nose and eyes though too. Your little one got it and not your older kitten because her immune system is not as developed. since it is a virus there is nothing you can do except treat the symptoms, high humidity, warm bed, and good nutrition. Seasonal allergies are possible too. If it gets worse (she may outgrow it when her immune system matures) you can give small amounts of human allergy medicine but that is not advisable in a small kitten I'd wait until she is older and still comes down with it. you would have to have the vet advise you on which one works best and how much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update that the sneezing has mostly subsided - little sneeze here and there but much less than what was..

I still feel it may have been allergies, but I'll just have to keep an eye out next Spring as well and see what happens! If it was an upper respiratory infection she appears to have fought it off like a champ.