sneezing kitty

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seeking some advice and positive thoughts.. my little guy (almost 2-year-old DSH) has not been feeling too well. He is an indoor kitty. Early yesterday morning, around 4AM, he woke me up sneezing - which I've never seen him do before. I observed and monitored him throughout the day and overall, he seemed okay, but continued to sneeze here and there. I also noticed he was licking his nose/mouth area more frequently as well as pawing at his nose (almost as if he were itching it) and before/after sneezing shaking his head a little bit. This morning, he was acting the same with some sneezes and appeared tired. He has been eating his wet food and treats, not so much his dry food (we free feed) and drinking a little from his water fountain. Normal bathroom habits as well. Just not as playful or vocal like his usual self.

We did see the vet this morning for an urgent care visit to be on the safe side. The vet essentially said that with his collection of symptoms it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what might be going on. She stated lip licking could be a nauseous response. She also mentioned with the head shaking, possibly something with his ears and that cannot be ruled out at this time. After speaking with her briefly (on the phone due to Covid restrictions), we decided to have him receive an anti-nausea injection at the vets (cerenia), liquid antibiotics (clavamox) to be done at home 2x/day for 10 days, and bloodwork. We will not receive his bloodwork results until Monday.

After we brought him home from the vet, he has been pretty sleepy throughout the day and pretty mellow. He has continued to have an appetite throughout the day, which makes me hopeful! I just worry about him. He has juvenile gingivitis and has had two surgeries to remove teeth already in his short life span. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this may be just a cold and that we get good news on Monday with his bloodwork. I am trying my best to give him his space to rest, relax, and be comfortable!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It very well could just be a cold, or even allergies. Or an ear infection. It seems like everything with the ears, nose and throat are connected, so I guess it's possible if he has an ear infection it could cause sneezing, right? But you are correct in that eating is a very good sign. If he slows down with that, try putting him in the bathroom with a hot shower running so he can take advantage of the steam. That helps with a stuffed up nose, which is often why cats with colds stop eating - they can't smell their food. Also try really stinky wet food.

Hope the bloodwork shows all is well and the antibiotics and anti-emetic make him feel better.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat has a cold I pull out a blanket that warms up. Her last one was bad. Besides sneezing, lethargic,lost her appetite, opening and closing one eye. I think she had a short seizure from the cold. She was fine otherwise. I kept her in my bedroom with the door closed for peace