Sneezing/Coughing Kittens

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay Guys and Gals,
I need some advice. I have a 9 week old litter with 3 or 4 kittens sneezing/coughing. It started with Mom and one kitten and now the number has grown. No fever, no lethargy; all are eating and playing as kittens should. Mom had a runny eye when we got her but none of the kittens show any sign of that symptom. A few trips to the Vet have revealed nothing and she is as much at a loss as I am. I have ordered a Nebulizer thinking it may be a URI but I hate to treat with antibiotics if it isn't necessary as I don't want them to build an immunity to the drugs. I am vaccinating tonight with a 4 way for their first shots and will do Mom as well. I am also considering placing a humidifier in their room. Any suggestions out there? Thanks.

Pete

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, I don't have much for ya. I can see your point on the antibiotics. I can imagine your frustration. I am not sure a humidifier will work. That would be good for conjestion though. I would just keep a close eye on them for now. It may just be a little cold that they will get over. You can also try adding a little vitamin c and echanacia(sp) to some wet food for them.

suzerq98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten started sneezing, such a tiny little sneeze that at first it was kind of cute! But, by the next day, it wasn't cute at all. He had the goopy eyes, coughing, sneezing, the whole 9 yards. His little nose was so stopped up he couldn't breathe, we sat in a recliner and slept for 2 nights, with me holding him upright. I hadn't done that since my kids were babies!<G>

Anyway, I took him to the vet. They gave him antibiotics for it. He might have gotten over it without the antibitoics, but he was just so tiny 9 weeks (and I didn't know anything about the home he came out of)that she thought we should treat. A phone call to your vet might be a good idea. She wouldn't give him any of his shots because we didn't know any history.

smiles.....

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, The humidifier makes me a little nervous. If there is a bacteria or virus, the humid conditions will allow it to prosper.

Vaccinating to bump up the immunity is a very good idea.

What about trying simple "Polysporin " drops in the eyes? It will get absorbed into the system and help prevent too much congestion from starting. If you are vaccinating, I would stay away from any chloramphenicol products.

Let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We ordered a Nebulizer which arrived yesterday. I am taking two of the kittens to the Vet today so I will see what she has to say and will let you know.

Pete

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pete, how did the vet visit go and how would you rate the nebulizer so far?

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Sandie
Pete, how did the vet visit go and how would you rate the Nebulizer so far?
Vet visit went okay; found out my kittens have Calicivirus; a few started favoring their left front leg as though it were injured which is consistent with this virus as causing lameness. There were also small lesions on the tongue of a couple of the kittens, another telltale sign. I planned to vaccinate at 6 weeks but made the mistake of listening to "more experienced breeders" who advised waiting to the 9th week. Had I vaccinated when I usually do they would not have this medical malady. Never again!
The Nebulizer works great; we treated last night and again this morning and you can already tell the difference in the kittens. Mom gets the treatment with the kittens, too, as they got it from her so apparently she is a carrier which thrills me to no end. Just have to vaccinate her future litters at the 6 week mark to avoid this from happening again.
The mixture we are treating with is 1cc Gentacin (100mg/ml), 1cc Tylan 50 and 10cc sterile water. You can also add Levasole as an immune system stimulator but since we also vaccinated with a 4 way we felt this unnecessary. Treatment is 25 - 30 min. twice a day for 3 days, skip a day, then 3 more days. We have a medium size pet carrier we put them all in and cover with towels to contain the mist. The mixture is enough to treat twice which worked out great. Thankfully this is one URI which is easy to treat.

Pete

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW what a mess. I am glad you ended up taking them to a vet. I had a run in with the Calicivirus once. It was enough for me. I am glad you found out though. Now you are prepared for the next time. I don't like to vaccinate earlier than 7 weeks myself but wont go past 8. I will have to keep the nebulizer in mind just to have on hand. It sounds like it's a great tool. I hope the babies are feeling better soon.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Sandie
WOW what a mess. I am glad you ended up taking them to a vet. I had a run in with the Calicivirus once. It was enough for me. I am glad you found out though. Now you are prepared for the next time. I don't like to vaccinate earlier than 7 weeks myself but wont go past 8. I will have to keep the nebulizer in mind just to have on hand. It sounds like it's a great tool. I hope the babies are feeling better soon.
Hi Sandie,
It was a little frustrating as I had them in a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't diagnosed then. The limping solved it for the Vet, which they didn't start until a few days ago. Could have saved a lot of time by treating earlier. At least now I know what to look for myself!
We got the Nebulizer from Revival, about $110. It's relatively easy to set up, just attach the tubing, add the medication and turn it on. We got an extra medicator pack as they are meant to be single patient use; once we finish treating this litter we will pitch the pack we used. They are only $3.25 and we have one ready if we need to set up again.
The way the kittens have been tearing up their room I would say they are feeling MUCH better! LOL

Pete

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your kittens are on the mend Pete.

Age of first vaccs in an interesting topic. Every vet I ever worked for, or spoke to said the only one who gets any benefit from vaccinating before nine weeks is the vet!!

Maternal antibodies protect the offspring for that amount of time. Once the offspring are completely weaned, then they are succeptable to the different virus strains. I guess if the mother had Calici then, ofcourse, she didn't have any immunity.

What I don't understand is, if the mother is a carrier of the disease, how would vaccinating the kittens at 6 weeks prevent their outbreak?? Was she regularly vaccinated?