Sneezing cat

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First: I volunteer to foster cats for a local shelter, and a few weeks after the last one visited she began sneezing constantly. I took her back, and a few days later my cat started the same thing. The clinic vets say there is nothing wrong with the foster cat (code for 'we're not paying for that!') which leads me to believe it is a temporary ailment that ran its course. On to my cat: I am broke, so I'm grateful that it seems to be a temporary bug. The sneezing fits can last for a minute, and occur probably once or twice per every waking hour. Occasionally she coughs and brings up a strand of clear phlegm. She might scratch her nose, and her eyes tear up during sneezing but she is strong and fit otherwise. I have trouble getting her to eat, and have been giving her steams in the shower but it's too early to see if it's working. My sinus is irritated, too, so keep in mind the weather is brutally cold and alternately moist and dry and might be a factor. I'm still terribly worried and any advice would be gratefully accepted.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So the cat you were fostering is NOT being given any antibiotics?  They don't think it's a URI?  I would definitely keep an eye on your girl and if she gets worse, it could be that she will need antibiotics.  That coughing up phlem is  bit worrisome...is the foster cat doing that too?

In the meantime, if she isn't eating well, it's probably because she's stuffed up and cannot smell her food.  You might try warming it up a little bit, since that makes it smell more.  Also, continue with the steaming in the bathroom.  The steamier, the better.  And you could give her some L-lysine, which might boost her immune system.  500 - 1000 mg a day in her food. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The foster cat was feeling better right away, I believe, which would mean she was feeling bad for a few days. I'm talking to the vets again in a bit, but I think that's true. As for the phlegm, it was on the first day that she seemed quite sick that she brought up a bit. I haven't seen her do that since. The steam seems helpful, since she started eating on her own again last night (kibble and soft food), but she's definitely still sneezing. Although she does seem in better spirits, at least. I, on the other hand, have worried myself (slightly) sick. Is it possible that a massive amount of fur and dander could be part of the problem? I noticed the place where these cats were sleeping was positively stuffed with it since I hadn't cleaned it in sometime.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've not heard of a cat sneezing from fur and dander, but I guess anything is possible!  But cats definitely can have allergies, just like humans.  They can be allergic to dust, pollen, you name it, they can be allergic to it.  I, myself, suffer from the sneezing type of allergies more in the wintertime (now), more than in the summer.  Maybe there IS something in your home she's allergic to?  When mine are bad, I get stuffed up, sneeze and even cough. 

Whatever it is, at least she is starting to feel better, and eating on her own again. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's definitely not out of the woods yet, and might get a visit to the vet soon but I've kept her healthy and the sneezing is down a lot. That's probably because of the "sauna" treatments and the cleaning, and I can't undo an infection if she has one, obviously, but it's a relief to see the sneezing reduced so much. I wish I could get an accurate estimate on this sort of thing, you know? One time I walked out of the vet with an unexpected few thousand dollars in bills! Okay, starting to kvetch. Thanks for your input.