Sneezing and Sniffles

xhevoice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat Shadow Breeze, is almost 9 years old (April 2023) and since December she has been sneezing and has the sniffles. Most of the time it is a dry sneeze on occasion she has sniffles. But today in my office there were several sneezes in a row with a runny nose. I am in SE Texas. Anywho, I took her to the vet last week. The 1st vet was like she has feline herpes. She listened to her chest and said her lungs sounded like they were full or something and suggested a shot of an antibiotic. I'm like is there a test you can conduct to confirm she has that? She then said she could do x-rays, blood tests to test for various viral and bacterial infections, but I would have to come back for 1/2 a day. That didn't sit right with me, because the week earlier when I made the appt. I clearly discussed what was wrong with the cat, they should've set aside time to be diagnostic. Also, Shadow didn't sneeze once in the car or at the vet.

So, I went to an animal ER/ 24 hospital and had them examine her. That vet did not think it was feline herpes. (If it was my other cat would have it too and he isn't sneezing). She didn't hear anything in her lungs but did a simple test with a cottonball and could see that she wasn't breathing too well out of one nostril. She suggested they could flush out her nostrils to dislodge something, if it was impacted. She could also do x-rays and blood work to find out why the cat is sneezing and has a runny nose. Shadow didn't sneeze once while she was at the animal ER. But when she got home she had the sniffles.

Shadow is behaving like a normal cat. Eating, sleeping, playing doing normal stuff. Two weeks ago though, she caught a rat and sneezed the entire time she was killing and eating it, and then sat on the chair for about an hour and then vomited it all up. So, that was unusual for her.

I've noticed that over the past two months I have been blowing my nose quite often (I live alone, mask up when out and vaxxed, so no URIs for me). So, I am wondering if it is something in my house. Maybe need to do a deep clean, change all the filters or something.

Before I spend a thousand dollars on test for Shadow and have her shot with antibiotics or whatever drug the vet suggests (she won't take pills unless I dissolve them and inject them in her mouth). I wanted to know if anyone has come across a similar situation with your kitty and what was the cause and solution to end the sneezing and runny nose/sniffles.

Thanks

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in DFW. This winter has been horrible for allergies. With the crazy warm weather, then the blast of arctic freezing air, every living creature seems to be affected. When it's warmer and windy and the wind blows from the south, we get the *&^%$ Mountain Cedar pollen from The Hill Country. When the cold front blows in, we get all the who knows what foreign pollen and that's just as bad at Mountain Cedar. All of this to say, it's possible airborne allergies. Have you tried a daily antihistamine? We have an asthma kitty and she gets a daily antihistamine to help her.