Sneezing and Cat Flu

Artline90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I just got a kitten from a well-known breeder and the kitten appeared to sneeze everyday. The vet told me that she got cat-flu (no test taken), but the breeder argued that sneezing can be a result of kitten being stress. This makes me confused.

Also, is cat-flu common among the breeders and as a buyer, we should expect the kitten to be not that 'healthy' when buying?

Thank you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I have never purchased a cat from a breeder so can't address that concern specifically but from the point of view of a consumer, I would say that I would expect a healthy cat if I got one from a well known breeder.

Is the vet treating your kitten? Aside from everything else, I am assuming that what the vet is calling cat flu is the standard contagious URI which I would want treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artline90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I have never purchased a cat from a breeder so can't address that concern specifically but from the point of view of a consumer, I would say that I would expect a healthy cat if I got one from a well known breeder.

Is the vet treating your kitten? Aside from everything else, I am assuming that what the vet is calling cat flu is the standard contagious URI which I would want treated.
Hi Fionasmom,

There is no treatment at the moment, no runny nose or eyes. The kitten is doing well, except sneezing everyday.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think an FIV test is a good idea, just to rule it out, though a reputable breeder should have very low chances of selling a kitten with FIV.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you suspect anything else like an allergen, something in the environment, or even something which might get in the kitten's nose?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I just got a kitten from a well-known breeder and the kitten appeared to sneeze everyday. The vet told me that she got cat-flu (no test taken), but the breeder argued that sneezing can be a result of kitten being stress. This makes me confused.

Also, is cat-flu common among the breeders and as a buyer, we should expect the kitten to be not that 'healthy' when buying?

Thank you.
I adopted Quinn from a breeder. Usually they will do a health check etc first, testing for fiv/ felv. And the first set of vaccinations. But a wellness check is recommended to get the kitten checked out. It could be allergies as well.

In his case he had fleas! Ugh. She had been having an issue and had been having her house treated etc. was steaming etc. and he was being treated with the daily pill. Well it does not work. I spent a month clearing my house of any chance of fleas. I have been through a real infestation before and I know what to do not to let that happen.

I saw large sand fleas on him the night he came home and said wth is that, I had never seen them before. I texted her and she said it is sand fleas and suggested to give him a bath. I wish I had just done that now because I took him to the dvm and they put flea poison on him at which point he started vomiting and had stomach problems for months after that. I finally cured it all with a home made diet. He was very skittish so I was worried about trying to give him a bath. He’s a super guy but he’s not a super cuddly cat, nor was he a super layed back kitten who would easily allow you to just give him a bath. But it would’ve been preferable to what happened from the flea treatment.

The stress of going to the new home can cause some weepy eyes and a bit of a cold I am told. Their immune systems are very fragile at that age. Usually the breeder will cover any dvm fees for care if needed, but check the contract. It could be an allergy as well to cat litter or food etc if that has been changed.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artline90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

We ran a test and it comes out positive in Feline Calicivirus and Mycoplasma felis.

We not sure whether the breeder should be responsible for selling such unwell cat.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

We ran a test and it comes out positive in Feline Calicivirus and Mycoplasma felis.

We not sure whether the breeder should be responsible for selling such unwell cat.
I would def contact the breeder and let them know. Is she getting treatment now for this? I was not familiar with MF, I just looked it up and apparently it can be related to felv. Has she been tested for fiv/ felv?