sneeze and cough no other symptoms

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a 3 year old boy who I have had since he was a kitten. He sometimes hacks up like he has a hairball and then never actually gets one out. it comes and goes...but the other day he started to hack and then sneeze almost as if he was trying to get it out. he has no other symptoms and is eating and using his litter box as normal. I do notice he does not like to drink from a water dish but our kitchen sink he will. I started to turn the sink on for him and he drank water like if he had never had any in his life. then the hacking started to stop. I am going to get him a fountain today and hope it helps. has anyone ever heard of this?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty gets coughing fits where she sounds like a cross between Donald Duck and an angry donkey. During them, she crouches low and sticks her neck out, and it does sometimes look like she's dry retching. I didn't want to take any chances so I sent a video to the vet and they had me come in. Her chest x-rays came back normal (no asthma), so the vet thought it was allergies and gave us an antihistamine. YMMV. If you can get it on video, maybe your vet will take a look for free, as mine did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty gets coughing fits where she sounds like a cross between Donald Duck and an angry donkey. During them, she crouches low and sticks her neck out, and it does sometimes look like she's dry retching. I didn't want to take any chances so I sent a video to the vet and they had me come in. Her chest x-rays came back normal (no asthma), so the vet thought it was allergies and gave us an antihistamine. YMMV. If you can get it on video, maybe your vet will take a look for free, as mine did.

THANK YOU! I think I will do that. I just want to make sure he is ok. and yes that is what he sounds like too! I laughed when you said angry donkey because we thought the same!!! I appreciate the feed back!