Smokey's Final Story

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Smokey passed away June 8, 2015. I know it has been over a year, but I couldn't share his story until now.

I got him when I was 12 & we had a total of 16 years to grow up together. He was truly a one of a kind kitty- the type that makes non cat people into cat people if that makes any sense. I cannot count the number of times I heard "If I get a cat, I would want it to be just like your Smokey." The highest of compliments any cat owner could receive! Everyone at the vet's office loved him. I'd walk in and they'd hollar back "Smokey's here if you want to see him!" Then they'd all come and love on him. Actually, the vet had to make a decree that would have to wait until after his appt was over because if they started in before he would get to purring so much that he couldn't hear his heartbeat!

He loved to cuddle. He hated Coldplay. He'd let you do anything you wanted to him. He was affectionately nicknamed my little 'Dr. House' cat as he was addicted to pain pills and walked with a limp. He loved me- so much more than I ever imagined.

That day- as I was taking him to the vet to end his pain, I made a little bed for him with some towels and a laundry basket. I placed him in it and put it in the passenger seat in my car. I didn't even make it out of the driveway before I heard the faintest little meow in protest. I picked him up and put him on my lap where he slept in peace until we made it to the vet 45 minutes away. The vet and I had discussed this day before and so I knew what to expect. He took me into a private room and gave him a shot of anesthesia so that I knew for sure he wouldn't feel any of the other stuff. Then he let me hold him for 10 more minutes so that I could officially say goodbye before he came in and gave him his final shot. 

This may sound creepy, or gross, so sorry but I just couldn't put him back on the seat next to me. His little meow of protest was still too much in my brain for that, and so when he and I got back in the car I placed him on my lap since that is where I knew he would want to be. We went to my Grandma's house, waited for my dad to get off work and come dig a grave, then put him to rest.

That night I came home to a super empty apartment and bawled my eyes out. Two days later, I started the search for my next kitty. It was too quiet. I kept expecting him to come around the corner or curl up in bed with me and every time he didn't I would get so sad. I needed a distraction, something that I could take care of while I was healing-- and God provided me with the perfect baby. A 9 year old cat who had lived at the shelter her entire life. She desperately needed someone to give her a home- her first ever. I picked her up June 13, 2015 and have never regretted that decision. We've learned a lot from each other- I've taught her how to be someone's pet & she has taught me how to be an owner to a cat that isn't Smokey.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww. (((Hugs))) I am so very sorry for your loss of Smokey. I too, have lost some very sweet fur babies over the course of my life and it never gets easier.

I don't think it's too odd that you held him on your lap afterwards. We all do what we think is best in our minds. . .when my Nico was euthanized at 5 years old due to genetic HCM (he was a Ragdoll cat) I had him privately cremated and bought a cremation necklace to keep some of his ashes in. I wear it every day. Some people find it creepy, others unusual, but for the majority of people find it beautiful and touching how a part of Nico will always be with me.

Nico. 8-14-2008 - 7-14-2014

Thank you for loving Smokey so well and for giving your new cat a good home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing! He was beautiful!! I'm glad that you have your necklace & it brings you comfort still. I kept a little box in Smokey's memory with pictures, favorite toys, and collar. When I am really reminiscent, I have that to go to.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing! He was beautiful!! I'm glad that you have your necklace & it brings you comfort still. I kept a little box in Smokey's memory with pictures, favorite toys, and collar. When I am really reminiscent, I have that to go to.

I have a box for Nico's belongings too. His full sister is still alive and just turned 8 years old (she is in my profile box).
I lost their nephew too to genetic HCM, he was euthanized almost 3 months after Nico. He was 4 months old when he left. Born 6-1-2014 and died 10-13-2014. I still miss them both.

What is your new cat's name? Do you have a picture of her? A picture of Smokey too would be nice. I bet they're both handsome/beautiful. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute for such a wonderful cat! Smokey sounds like a sweet soul to have grown up with, you are so privileged to have had him share your life's journey. I don't find one thing you have posted that sounds weird or unusual, each and everyone of us grieves in our own way and in our own time frame. Not one of us will ever forget the time we spent with those special felines that stole a piece of our heart when they left, but it takes time to come to term with the conclusion that although we miss them from our lives so desperately they truly have never left us at all. They are bonded to our souls as surely as the love we have for each other will never die until we draw our own last breathe in this world. As long as we have our precious memories we keep them alive in our hearts. When two living beings love each other so much, the one that leaves would never want to bring pain to the one left behind.  Yes, we must grieve because we have come to a fork in the road of our lives and for now must  journey on, but we can pass on that legacy of love, just as you have, and honor the one we cry over and miss so dearly. I have often stated to bring another little soul into your heart, it provides distraction, and banishes the loneliness and sorrow from our hearts. We won't love them the same, that can never be, but we will learn to love again, in a different way, like a loving mother with several children loves each and every one. Bless you for giving that precious girl a loving home to call her own, she will love you too for your kindness and for loving her after so long without someone to call her own.  I cry with you for the loss of such a special boy,  I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, and kiss that beautiful girl for me, she doesn't know how fortunate she is to have found you, but she will.........RIP dear Smokey, you will never be forgotten by the heart that holds you so tenderly, you shall dwell there until the end of time, bringing comfort with your memory and letting your love heal the broken heart of the one you hold above all else. Goodnight sweet Prince!  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Smokey must have been a wonderful companion that you'll always hold close in your heart. He'd be pleased that you chose a longtime shelter resident with poor adoption chances to help you recover from his loss. RIP, Smokey. :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
You did great, not only with Smokey but also adopting an older cat and giving her a taste of the good life, that is fantastic. Smokey sure was loved and knew it, and Deb and I also hold and hug our babies after they have passed, we don't want to let them go, so no, that is not weird or gross. When Skipper passed a month ago, Deb picked his body up and said "I've waited 8 years to do this" as she held him, we could never pick him up, he didn't go for it, and her saying and doing that will stay with me for the rest of my life, that she finally got to hold him.There is nothing wrong with that at all in my mind.....

And to share your love with another cat is truly something special, it will help you transition from the loss of Smokey to the life of your new kitty. Sylvester has been doing that for me for the last 7 months, after Sebastian died in my arms Sylvester came into our lives, and I just adore him and love him to pieces, Deb says that I am "creepily obsessed" with him and I probably am, but I don't care and he LOVES the attention lol!!!

May God help you with your transition, you are very special for taking in an older cat......I wish you two many years of happiness together!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a lovely tribute to Smokey.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Bless you for adopting an older shelter cat.  Your story is truly inspirational.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Here is Smokey! My computer is acting funny & so I don't know what actually was posted in my earlier post. I am going to start over!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I truly had no clue how easy I had it with him. He was as close to perfect as you can get.

Adrianne's story is really long so I posted it in the New Cat Forum- I felt bad putting it here. Please check it out if you want to hear more about her adoption story!

Thanks again!!