Smelly Kitten

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new kitten, Flora, is really smelly. I think she has gas for one, but she also just smells. I remember my parents' cat when she was a kitten also smelled a lot. Is this a kitten thing? I checked and she doesn't have any poop on her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is gas, she may be adjusting to a new diet, that often happens and it will clear up in time. If it is her own odor, she may have a lot of Oriental breed in her, which have their own smell to their skin. They are very person-oriented, fun, and extremely smart, I love my little mixed Orientals. You might get some cat wipes and wipe her down and see if that helps.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There could be other issues causing odor; dental, eye infections pop into mind.
Has she been to the vet to be looked at? I don't think it's the usual for a kitten to have a bad odor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There could be other issues causing odor; dental, eye infections pop into mind.
Has she been to the vet to be looked at? I don't think it's the usual for a kitten to have a bad odor
She hasn't been to my vet, but she has been to vets associated with the rescue I adopted her from. She hasn't been spayed yet either because of Covid.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although kittens don’t normally smell unpleasantly, cats and kittens from shelters often smell badly - too many animals kept too close together. But, grooming will soon get rid of that.

I have had a motherless litter of very smelly kittens - they had giardia, which usually, but not always, is accompanied with diarrhoea. Another young kitten had bad breath, which was not noticed by the vet as there were more serious injuries to contend with. Eventually, the kitten was diagnosed with dental problems and her teeth had to be extracted.

If the situation doesn't improve I would definitely speak to a vet. Vets dealing with rescue cats can't be expected to be too thorough when checking so many animals, who are not normally in the best condition anyway.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She hasn't been to my vet, but she has been to vets associated with the rescue I adopted her from. She hasn't been spayed yet either because of Covid.
FYI check back with the vet now. Our just sent out a notice the other day that they have started to see clients for routine visits although they are still following Covid guidelines as far as human visitors. Ours comes to the car to p/u our cat, calls us with details as I sit in the car, and brings her back out again when finished.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI check back with the vet now. Our just sent out a notice the other day that they have started to see clients for routine visits although they are still following Covid guidelines as far as human visitors. Ours comes to the car to p/u our cat, calls us with details as I sit in the car, and brings her back out again when finished.
The rescue has a nonprofit spay and neuter affiliate that will be calling me when they are able to spay her. I've essentially already paid for the spay through that nonprofit so I just have to wait for the call.