Smell After Dental Extraction

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had dental extractions two days ago. They pulled five teeth and all went well. She has been eating, pooping, and acting pretty normally.

She has been drooling a little, mostly clear but slightly rusty in colour. I took a look in her mouth and it looked like the extraction site of one of her incisors is bleeding. Not badly, just a little red spot.

I wasn’t really worried, but her mouth does smell a bit. I only noticed when my face was right in it, and it’s not a horrid foul smell but it is a little sour.

When I had my wisdom teeth out, my mouth was a bit funky too, but I’m not sure whether I should be worried.

She was not given abx as all her extractions were routine.

I may bring her in to the vet tomorrow but maybe this is totally common and normal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the smell is definitely more like dry saliva than infection or rot. She’s eating and grooming and coming for attention. She feels about the same temp in her ears as my other cats but maybe just slightly warmer. I’m still a little worried though, tomorrow morning (and the vet being open) feels far away!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would want to have her checked. If it is the start of an infection you will want to catch it quickly. However i dont think there is any reason to worry tonight. But if any concerns its best to get it checked tomorrow if you can. May be nothing, but a check up never hurts. Best of luck, hopefuly everything is fine. Do keep us updated.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s still warm this morning and her mouth seems sore, she’s eating but with hesitation. The earliest I could book her in was 130 today to see a tech, but 4 hours at the emergency vet isnt more appealing.

So a short wait then off we go again!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give you an antibiotic to give her after the extraction? Why did she have so many teeth pulled? What was going on? Infection?

I think when mine had teeth removed they either got an shot or I gave them liquid antibiotic for three days or something. I also had pain meds in liquid form; enough for two days.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give you an antibiotic to give her after the extraction? Why did she have so many teeth pulled? What was going on? Infection?

I think when mine had teeth removed they either got an shot or I gave them liquid antibiotic for three days or something. I also had pain meds in liquid form; enough for two days.
They didn’t give me an antibiotic, but I didn’t get any with my other cat (different vet) earlier this year

She’s about 14 and I didn’t brush her teeth, she also had some broken teeth from before I got her that were starting to be a problem. There was no infection of abscess in the teeth, but her inscisors were pretty bad with significant bone loss.

They gave her a long term pain meds which are probably wearing off today and making her feel worse. They didn’t give me daily meds because of her creatinine levels.

They bumped me up to 1230 so hopefully she’ll be feeling better sooner than later.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im glad your getting her in today, and yes i think i would rather go to my regular vet this afternoon than the emergency vet. Let us know how her appointment goes! :crossfingers:

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finished the appointment! She’s fine, lol. Temp is high end of normal and the vet said day 3 is usually the worst for the healing response. He did concede the smell was strong and gave her an abx injection as well as another 3-day pain relief injection, and I can rest easy tomorrow knowing she feels better.