Smalls and RaisedRight

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried these homecooked cat food?
This is where I got them from:
Smalls: Real Food for Cats
Raised Right - Human-Grade Pet Food

Seems like my cats get constipated with these if I don't add Miralax and Psyllium Husk to their meals. Each day I have to add 1/4 tsp Psyllium Husk to their breakfast and lunch, and 1/2 tsp of Miralax for dinner in order for them not to get constipated. But I really don't want to have to use these fiber supplements long term because my cats are still quite young they are only 2 years old. I want to save those fiber supplements when they become senior citizens or whenever they need it the most. Do your cats have any constipation issues when it comes to feeding them high protein grain-free meals?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that these foods have too much bone in the them. Excess calcium is a common source of constipation. Have you obtained information about the amount of bone in the foods you're feeding from the companies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smalls for Smalls use Calcium Carbonate and in their food nutrition facts, it says they use 259mg for 11.5 oz of meat. Is that too much?
smalls.JPG

For RaisedRight, it says that they use EggShell Powder. Does that causes constipation too?
raisedright.JPG

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Smalls for Smalls use Calcium Carbonate and in their food nutrition facts, it says they use 259mg for 11.5 oz of meat. Is that too much?
View attachment 316264

For RaisedRight, it says that they use EggShell Powder. Does that causes constipation too?
View attachment 316265
Hmm if they are both boneless then that shouldn’t be the issue. Is he getting enough water? You might try added water to the food when you serve it. There also some blueberries and peas in the ingredients which I would assume would cause softer stool.

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm if they are both boneless then that shouldn’t be the issue. Is he getting enough water? You might try added water to the food when you serve it. There also some blueberries and peas in the ingredients which I would assume would cause softer stool.
I include in their food for each cat (Drax and Penelope) at least 1/2 cup water each day (all meals combined). And they pee about 2 to 3 times a day. Maybe too much protein can cause constipation? Or they need by-products, indigestible food like lungs, spleen, neck, feet, etc. to help them poop? Because that is what kibbles have and cats poop a lot on kibble diet.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I include in their food for each cat (Drax and Penelope) at least 1/2 cup water each day (all meals combined). And they pee about 2 to 3 times a day. Maybe too much protein can cause constipation? Or they need by-products, indigestible food like lungs, spleen, neck, feet, etc. to help them poop? Because that is what kibbles have and cats poop a lot on kibble diet.
Actually, now I think that your cats aren’t constipated. What are the signs that make you think they are? Cats on kibble poop too much. They do this because there are too many carbs in their foods. Cats on raw diets typically wont poop as much, their poops will also be small, dry on the inside and odorless. So, what you’re thinking is constipation may actually just be healthy poop.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I realize the foods you’re feeding aren’t raw, but nonetheless, they may result in fewer poops. This doesn’t necessarily mean constiparion.

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, now I think that your cats aren’t constipated. What are the signs that make you think they are? Cats on kibble poop too much. They do this because there are too many carbs in their foods. Cats on raw diets typically wont poop as much, their poops will also be small, dry on the inside and odorless. So, what you’re thinking is constipation may actually just be healthy poop.
Well right now, they are not constipated because I am giving them miralax and psyllium husks. But when I stop giving it to them, their poop becomes hard to the point when they would go 2 days without pooping. I'm really cautious with this because last time this happened, Drax had to be taken to the vet and given enema, his xray showed accumulation of poop that looked it was reaching his lungs. I decided to take him to the vet because he was vomiting after a couple of days of not defecating.

I just want to know if there are other more natural food I can give my cats so that they are pooping regularly without the fiber supplements.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Well right now, they are not constipated because I am giving them miralax and psyllium husks. But when I stop giving it to them, their poop becomes hard to the point when they would go 2 days without pooping. I'm really cautious with this because last time this happened, Drax had to be taken to the vet and given enema, his xray showed accumulation of poop that looked it was reaching his lungs. I decided to take him to the vet because he was vomiting after a couple of days of not defecating.

I just want to know if there are other more natural food I can give my cats so that they are pooping regularly without the fiber supplements.
An alternative is half to one full teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin a day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a thread about Smalls:

I couldn't find any threads about Raised Right but that doesn't mean there isn't a member who does feed it.

Msus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m also having this problem with Smalls. My 15 yr old cat becomes constipated and doesn’t poop for days. I have to give him cheaper canned food periodically to get him going again —food that normally gave him diarrhea. :(

At first the food seemed great—he absolutely loves it, his fur is healthy, and when he does go regularly, it’s solid with very little smell. Previously he always had diarrhea and the smell would clear a room. We’d have to scoop immediately because the smell was unbearable.

He won’t touch pumpkin. I may give the psyllium husks a try!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise

I know this is from awhile ago, but wondered if you have any final words on the pros and cons of psyllium husk. Right now my guy is taking a tiny pinch of Miralax for constipation and it just turns his poop to gravy. Hoping for equilibrium. Thank you.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this is from awhile ago, but wondered if you have any final words on the pros and cons of psyllium husk. Right now my guy is taking a tiny pinch of Miralax for constipation and it just turns his poop to gravy. Hoping for equilibrium. Thank you.

I'm watching this one for a response as well. I've been giving my cat 1/8 teaspoon of psyllium each morning & her poop is still black & tarry. I have been considering Miralax, pumpkin doesn't do anything.