Small very pregnant cat help

JackSmith90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I picked up a small pregant cat while camping two weeks ago. I took her to the vet and they said she should be ready in two weeks, two weeks ago. We thought she was a kitten but is actually 2 years old. Since then her belly doubled in size and alreay ate a bag and a half of kitten food. I am wondering when she will go in labor and if she could handle it. I noticed she could not reach her privates to lick it and I am concerned if she needs to lick it to go in labor. She had made small amounts of brown discharge a few days ago and now there is some white discharge. She has been producing milk since yesterday.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is ready to go into labor anytime now. The discharge is normal and occurs at the end of pregnancy. She does not need to lick herself to stimulate labor. It will occur naturally. Vet estimates are just that, estimates only and are usually a few days off, though your vet was way off.

Since her milk is coming in, she should go into labor very soon. Most cats manage well without intervention, and first stage labor usually lasts 24 hours, followed by pushing. If she pushes with no success for an hour you’ll need a vet. Have a number on hand just in case.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JackSmith90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is chirping again and she is acting restless. Now she is kinda normal again.

JackSmith90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She now grunts every once in a while and has a hard time using the potty. Still no kitties.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you prepared something for her to have the Kittens in? Even just a cardboard box with some blankets would be fine, just something she can be comfortable in without running and hiding somewhere like a mother may do if there is nowhere she feels safe to have her Kittens.

You'll need to make sure to change the bedding whenever it gets dirty (blood, milk, urine and feces from the Kittens, etc.) or she will move them elsewhere. It would help to have multiple nests close by so if she does decide to move them for whatever reason she is more likely to choose one of them instead of underneath or behind something on the floor.

The floor in those pictures looks like concrete, is it? If it is then you REALLY need to be ontop of making sure she has comfortable places for her and the Kittens, because if she moves them onto a concrete floor in an enclosed area they could die because young Kittens can't regulate their own body temperatures and the concrete will suck the heat out of them.

Ideally you'd want to move them somewhere with a carpeted floor or even wood floor, anything but concrete or tile if possible.

JackSmith90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have another side of the basement with a carpet for her. We have 5 nests for her; 2 cardboard boxes, a long storage container, a small dog bed with walls and a folded blanket beside my air mattress so she can be near me at night. She also can rest on a queen size mattress as well. She just likes laying on the concrete like a third of the time. We think she likes it since it is cool.

Attachments

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have another side of the basement with a carpet for her. We have 5 nests for her; 2 cardboard boxes, a long storage container, a small dog bed with walls and a folded blanket beside my air mattress so she can be near me at night. She also can rest on a queen size mattress as well. She just likes laying on the concrete like a third of the time. We think she likes it since it is cool.
Perfect, as long as she's got lots of comfy places to choose from she's much less likely to go somewhere she shouldn't. And yeah, lots of Cats like to lay on concrete or tile, or in a sink/shower/bathtub because it's cool.

JackSmith90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No major signs of labor. We will check on her every hour tonight. She has stopped eating so that is a good sign she is due soon. No mucus plug and no more discharge. Her rear is not opening. She is sitting in a chair and not in her nests, so it seems she is not in late stages of labor. I am a little concerned the kittens might be to big since she is around a foot long and is the size of a 6 to 9 month old kitten. The vet said she had a litter before so I think she should be alright.

JackSmith90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: no kittens but she is twitching and itching a lot. She is still in the chair not in nest and there is some more white discharge.

JackSmith90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The hole closed. Is there a way to safely induce labor? The kittens feel fully formed and she has not eaten much in the last two days. She meows every once in a while as well and she has used the litter box but nothing came out.

Attachments

JackSmith90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The hole closed. Is there a way to safely induce labor? The kittens feel fully formed and she has not eaten much in the last two days. She meows every once in a while as well and she has used the litter box but nothing came out.
I tried playing with her since that might help but she is used to prey and does not care for toys. She stopped going in her nests completely and just lay on concrete. I read that raspberries might help but I am not sure. She has not lost her mucus plug yet.