small, preferably 1oz freezable ziplock bags?

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I need a way to store small portions of organ meat. Freezing and unfreezing seems to make it go bad faster. What do you guys do?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about containers with lids? theres some in the "related tab" as well

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use something similar to these:

Have you thought of freezing it first in an old fashioned ice cube tray and then putting it in a freezer bag?

That works too :agree: A standard ice cube tray may be too small but there are larger 2 oz ice cube trays one can buy.

• Purraise
Reactions: nwc

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use these. I think they’re 3 oz.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

I actually prefer 1 oz cubes because I would like to feed a little every day, rather than whole meals. My cat regurgitates like one out of every 4 organ meals.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a silicon pan you can make six mini meatloafs in that I use to free small quantities of sauces. They hold about three ounces but you don’t need to fill them that full. Then you freeze, pop them out and put them in a freezer bag.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, wait. You said ziplocks. I use these to freeze the meat I grind because they take up less space in the freezer than a container and I’m not constantly tossing plastic bags (which I try not to do because of the environment). Mine are larger, but they come in all sizes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or freeze the organs in a single layer in baking sheet and then store them in a baggie. If a baking sheet doesn't fit in your freezer, just use whatever shallow container you may have on hand.

• Purraise
Reactions: nwc

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to use "bottle ice cube" trays to create stick cubes. The weight of each cube depends on the density of what's being frozen. But for Rad Cat and homemade raw food, each cube can be 18-21 grams. You can make them out to 14 grams each and use two for an ounce. Or at 21 grams, two will be 1.5 ounces (which used to be Krista's portion size.) I like the bottle cube shape because they thaw quicker than a traditional box shape. I can keep all the food frozen and thaw to plate in a minute or two under warm water.

Another thing I'll do is use "snack" bags and weigh out 2 oz to each bag. Then I squish the contents as flat as possible before sealing the baggie. This makes it so they don't take up much room but they also don't take on much freezer burn with so little air left in the baggie. Sometimes I'll submerge the baggie just up to the mouth in water so that I can press all the extra air out. And because the portion is pressed so flat, it takes no time to thaw to serve under warm water.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I like to use "bottle ice cube" trays to create stick cubes. The weight of each cube depends on the density of what's being frozen. But for Rad Cat and homemade raw food, each cube can be 18-21 grams. You can make them out to 14 grams each and use two for an ounce. Or at 21 grams, two will be 1.5 ounces (which used to be Krista's portion size.) I like the bottle cube shape because they thaw quicker than a traditional box shape. I can keep all the food frozen and thaw to plate in a minute or two under warm water.

Another thing I'll do is use "snack" bags and weigh out 2 oz to each bag. Then I squish the contents as flat as possible before sealing the baggie. This makes it so they don't take up much room but they also don't take on much freezer burn with so little air left in the baggie. Sometimes I'll submerge the baggie just up to the mouth in water so that I can press all the extra air out. And because the portion is pressed so flat, it takes no time to thaw to serve under warm water.
These are great, daftcat75 daftcat75 ! I followed your link and then saw these as well:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Not sure what I would use those for. They look like they might only hold 2-4 grams each square.
I usually have a small amount left after I divide a batch into meal-sized portions for three cats (178 g. per meal). It’s not enough for one feeding, but I don’t want to waste it so I freeze the remainder in small “blobs.” Next time I make a batch, I use the “blobs” to top off portions that aren’t quite at the weight I need. That probably sounds confusing. So for the batch, I might get to the end of the apportionment and have, for example, 145 grams remaining. I add the frozen bits until I get it up to 178. Anyway, the tray of small squares might work well for that purpose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some serious ingenuity in this thread.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also buy freeze dried organs at pet stores or online. Easier to store and feed as needed :)