Small Maine Coon

msfbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help. I got a maine coon kitten 3 days ago who I thought seemed to be on the smaller side but the breeder told me hadnt had his growth spurt yet. He also seems to have a bit of a pot belly but the breeder again assured me thar some cats can have this and again related it to lack of growth spurt. She also shared with me details regarding his shots and deworming and repeated that it was definitely not worms (she had just gotten his 2nd round of shots before I picked him up) and de worming treatment. She told me to give him Royal Canin kitten and not too much raw/wet food immediately so he doesnt get diarrhoea. He seems to be eating well and as of yesterday I started giving him some wet food. I thought he was small but wasnt too worried as he seemed happy. However I decided to weigh him yesterday and was surprised at just how small he is for a 13 week maine coon. He weighs just under 1kg. It's made me worry now and reflect on some of my interactions with the breeder. Although she has given me all the paperwork I think my kitten wasnt well look after and I'm worried about his weight. Am I being a fuss pot for no reason?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That does sound really small for at Maine coon kitten, even the DSH kittens I have (currently about 3.6-6.2 kgs at 11 months) were all well over 1kg at 13 weeks. Did the kitten come with a health guarantee? Personally I would get the kitten checked out at the vet just to be sure he is ok. Or at the vary least call the vet she got the shots for the kitten at and let them know you now own the kitten, just to verify her claims and make sure she didn't leave anything out. They may not be able to release the info to you but may be able to fax/email it over to your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msfbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That does sound really small for at Maine coon kitten, even the DSH kittens I have (currently about 3.6-6.2 kgs at 11 months) were all well over 1kg at 13 weeks. Did the kitten come with a health guarantee? Personally I would get the kitten checked out at the vet just to be sure he is ok. Or at the vary least call the vet she got the shots for the kitten at and let them know you now own the kitten, just to verify her claims and make sure she didn't leave anything out. They may not be able to release the info to you but may be able to fax/email it over to your vet.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I actually booked an appointment with a vet this friday so I'll see what they say and good idea on calling the other vet. I think I'll do that tomorrow. Will let you know how it all goes

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recently got a Maine Coon kitten and he weighed more than that at 9 weeks. He'll be 20 weeks Monday and weighs 4kgs already.

msfbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't add anything to the excellent advice that amethyst amethyst gave you, but DO let us know how your kitten is progressing, please.
Just wanted to say thank you all for your messages. My little boy saw the vet last week who indeed said he was quite bony and thin apart from that everything else seemed ok, he also received another dose of deworming as his potbelly was still there. When the vet weighed him he was 1.15 kg so he had put on 200 grams in his first week with me. I just weight him again now and he is 1.35 so that is another 250grams since last Friday. As he seems to be gaining steady weight I am not as panicked as I was 10 days ago. I did write to the breeder and basically explained that she should have really given me a heads up and explained why he was so small and also pointed out 1) his pot belly 2) that he had poo and talcum powder all over him 3) he had matted fluff/dirt ball behind his ear that was just as big as his ear and that overall I don't think he was well looked after. Her reply was defensive and angry. In any case, all that matters is he is gaining weight and is a very happy and active kitten. Here are some pics in case curious :)

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww he is so cute. 😻 If he is gaining ok now that he is with you it makes me wonder if the breeder wasn't feeding him a proper diet or wasn't feeding him enough, especially since he had worms they would be eating his food before he could digest it. Also it's not uncommon to need more then one or two rounds of dewormer (but obviously not a good sign if getting from a breeder), the stray orphaned kittens I took in last fall needed 3 rounds of dewormer before they were worm free.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sick of breeders- makes me wonder what would have happened to him if he hadn't found you. Thank you. He is adorable.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful, def a Maine Coon (I'll admit, I was sceptical when you mentioned his weight). Hopefully he'll continue to do well and gain weight.

msfbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww he is so cute. 😻 If he is gaining ok now that he is with you it makes me wonder if the breeder wasn't feeding him a proper diet or wasn't feeding him enough, especially since he had worms they would be eating his food before he could digest it. Also it's not uncommon to need more then one or two rounds of dewormer (but obviously not a good sign if getting from a breeder), the stray orphaned kittens I took in last fall needed 3 rounds of dewormer before they were worm free.
That is what I thought about the breeder. His pot belly seems to have gone down now which is good

msfbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's beautiful, def a Maine Coon (I'll admit, I was sceptical when you mentioned his weight). Hopefully he'll continue to do well and gain weight.
thank you! Actually these are probably the worst pictures of him, he is always running around and being naughty it's hard to catch a good picture when he is just sitting there :)

msfbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sick of breeders- makes me wonder what would have happened to him if he hadn't found you. Thank you. He is adorable.
I know, I am a bit angry at myself to be honest, even though I researched for about 6 months because of Covid it wasn't possible to go see him in his surroundings and everytime I asked for a picture of him with the mum she had an excuse. Now upon reflection, I should have stopped there but then I wouldn't have this bundle of joy now

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a super lean cat now that is main coon length, and its honestly more than a little annoying that he always wants to be on the lap, because he is dang big. If he is walkng around or restless, forget not seeing the computer, I can't see anything at all except miles of cat. He also has a giant tail that sticks up that seems to be constantly in my face, which is just so extra lol.

So, to me, with the health issues resolved, you have a cutie with the main coon look that may not break your lap. Not a bad thing imho.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, the photos are very very good, your kitty looks happy, & lean. And as long as he is muscular , being fat is not, typical with the Maine coon kitten .
My boy was 2 kg at 13 weeks, I could and still feel his hip bones. But he leaps from a tall place ( in a single bound ) and almost takes off in flight trying to caught a feather wand.:hyper:
So sad the little guy was not even bathed before you pick him up. And yep. They are almost all under nourished while waiting o go to their new owners.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nice looking fellow. I would report the breeder if possible. Sounds like she may have sold him underage or if not malnourished based on size and weight not just the worms.
Likely a backyard breeder or kitten mill. There are probably other cats in similar conditions including the parent cats.