Small lump near cat's ear, anyone know what this is? (pictures)

owletts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I found this lump on my 3 year old boy Nacho on the 29th of December - I've been monitoring it since, and it hasn't changed in size but the texture isn't smooth like when I took this photo (mild scabby feeling now) - anyone know what it could be? It's hard, and I think it can be moved around - unsure if it's the skin moving around or the lump itself, but it seems to be "above the skin" anyway. I should note he's also had a history of calicivirus, and has had all of his teeth bar his canines removed, but I doubt this could be related to any of that. 

I'm asking my vet tomorrow regardless, but it's racking my brain. The only things I can think of are perhaps flea/mite bites (he hasn't had any flea or worm protection lately since he's indoor only and I'm paranoid about him having an allergic reaction, I've read so many horror stories and I worry about him enough as it is! But, after this I'm definitely doing some more research into some flea and worm treatments) due to me visiting my sister in law recently and playing with her cats and dogs, but all of them were mite and worm treated. The other thing I'm considering is possible mite bite from some new pet rats I got, one of which had mite dust and crusty ears, but I'm unsure if those types of mites can jump onto a cat. 

Could it be a cyst? All my google searches keep showing "lump = cancer!!!" which is frustrating, google always defaults to cancer! 

Thank you in advance, sorry for my disorganised rambling! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

owletts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Checking it out today at the vet, I'm hoping it's just a knick since his back claws hadn't been trimmed in a while.

Kristian S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Checking it out today at the vet, I'm hoping it's just a knick since his back claws hadn't been trimmed in a while.
Hello! Just wondering if your vet identified what the bump was on your cat's head, as we have a 10 week male kitten with an identical looking bump. He has a vaccination appointment in a couple of weeks, so we'll have the vet look at it too. Thanks.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
K Kristian S Since this post is 5 years old there's a good chance the original poster may not reply but please feel free to start your own thread in the Cat Health forum. Glad to hear you have an upcoming vet appointment. Please keep us posted on your kitten's progress. BTW, welcome to TCS! :welcomesign:

Kristian S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I thought it was worth a shot given that the lumps look very similar and have a similar location (Benjamin's lump is on his upper forehead). Benjamin definitely likes to wrestle with his buddy Sherman, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's scratch related. I will try to remember to post again after the vet appointment.
IMG_20210223_235917.jpg

IMG_20210221_003302.jpg

eellorac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I thought it was worth a shot given that the lumps look very similar and have a similar location (Benjamin's lump is on his upper forehead). Benjamin definitely likes to wrestle with his buddy Sherman, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's scratch related. I will try to remember to post again after the vet appointment.
View attachment 371728
View attachment 371729
Hi Kristian, just wonder what's the diagnosis from the vet? My cat also has similar lumps at the same location above his eyes. But it doesn't seem to bother him much. I suspect it's from a fight but then a few days ago I found that there are some other lumps (barely detectable) appear in the forehead. I plan to bring him to the vet this week but am curious to know about it could be beforehand.
THanks

Kristian S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The appointment is not until this Friday, so hopefully we will know more then. Our kitten still only has the one lump that we can tell. It hasn't grown in diameter from what we can tell, but it does feel a little more prominent. It feels somewhat soft when you push on it, but it still looks like the same as the photo (shiny and skin color). How old is your cat? Please let me know if you find out more from your vet, and I will do the same. Thanks!

eellorac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The appointment is not until this Friday, so hopefully we will know more then. Our kitten still only has the one lump that we can tell. It hasn't grown in diameter from what we can tell, but it does feel a little more prominent. It feels somewhat soft when you push on it, but it still looks like the same as the photo (shiny and skin color). How old is your cat? Please let me know if you find out more from your vet, and I will do the same. Thanks!
My cat is around 1.5 year old. The lump was there long time ago and I used to think that it's a result from playing fighting. it doesn't grow larger at all, but I found that are some other tiny lumps that come up. I wonder if they are warts. but there are no fur loss so it is not easily noticeable.

eellorac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet asked me not to worry as it could be resulted from play fighting. Or it could be resulted from clogged sebaceous pores. but since the size is small and it does not grow in size that's ok.

Kristian S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is good news! I will let you know what we find out tomorrow during our appointment.

Kristian S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said the lump on our cat is just a cyst (maybe sebaceous), and was probably caused by a cat scratch or hair follicle/oil. The vet is not worried about it at all and said it may go away on its own, but it could grow. If it's still there where we bring him to get neutered in June/July, then the vet will remove it. Take care!

eellorac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said the lump on our cat is just a cyst (maybe sebaceous), and was probably caused by a cat scratch or hair follicle/oil. The vet is not worried about it at all and said it may go away on its own, but it could grow. If it's still there where we bring him to get neutered in June/July, then the vet will remove it. Take care!
Good news. So I guess after all it's not something to be worried about. Thanks for updating !

eellorac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey BTW. I just found out a cream that could treat those cyst.

Attachments

Kristian S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're still planning to have the lump on our kitten's head surgically removed in late June, as the lump has grown as he has grown. He is now about 5 months old and the lump is about 5mm in diameter and about 3 mm high. It's color is still the same and it still doesn't bother him, but it's much more noticeable now. You no longer have to hunt through his fur to find it. I'll keep you posted about how it turns out.

eellorac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ic. if u hv to neutered the cat.anyway u could try remove it surgically. but in case u if find regrowth in the future or there are.more comi.g up. u could try the ointment. it works well with my cat

Kristian S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thanks. I didn't realize that you had tried it already. Yeah, our kitten will still be going for neutering, so we'll get the lump removed in the same visit. Do you know what the active ingredient in this ointment is? I have never seen anything like that in Canada.

eellorac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thanks. I didn't realize that you had tried it already. Yeah, our kitten will still be going for neutering, so we'll get the lump removed in the same visit. Do you know what the active ingredient in this ointment is? I have never seen anything like that in Canada.
20% urea