Small Kitten

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I bottle fed this kitten for my rescue and decided to adopt her. I got her when she was only a few days old - still had the umbilical cord attached. She was the only survivor of her litter and has had a slew of health issues - mostly things that resolved without the vet knowing what was going on.

She is 5 months old today and still weighs only 2.7 lbs. She eats and plays and seems healthy. Has anyone ever had a kitten this small? I hope she will live a long, full life. I'm doing all I can to help her. She is the sweetest cat I think I've ever owned in my 50+ years of having cats. Her name is Ophelia. Thanks! I'm hoping someone else has a similar experience that will encourage me that she will be ok!
pic monkey copy ophelia collage summer 2018.jpg

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is darling. If she is healthy, gets a clean bill of health from the vet on her checkups, I would not worry. Interesting though, just lately there has been a slew of members or new members posting about their " tinier than the usual" cats/ kittens on this site. Does she have a heart murmur or anything else that would be of concern? Even if she does have a murmur, with what I have read, she still could have a long, healthy and happy life. She looks great in her pictures. I say just enjoy Ophelia and make sure she gets her regular check ups by the vet like the rest of us responsible pet owners do. :) I forgot one thing, if she is not, please be sure she gets spayed, I would hate to see such a small kitten have kittens, that in my opinion would be unwise.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl was just over a pound at 3-4 months old. She came from a hoarder/feral situation and I started her immediately on kitten food with no limits on how much she could eat. She also had a slew of health problems with her suddenly going downhill and recovering with no obvious cause. The rest of her litter did pass away shortly after I took her in. She didn't hit 3 pounds until she was 6 months old.

Once Rocket got over her kitten hood health issues she has been healthy. I believe she was around 6 pounds at a year old and has been putting on muscle since then to hit her current weight.

Now at 3 years old she is 7 pounds 9 ounces, although she did have a high weight of 8 pounds. To compare my other cat in the background was 14 pounds, 9 ounces last week. The comparison makes her seem even smaller.

IMG_20180610_164211.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl, Kieka. I was hoping for success stories such as yours. On Memorial Day Ophelia took a really bad turn and seemed to have something neurological going on - emergency vet asked if we wanted her resuscitated :( They speculated she could have eaten something or hit her head but she was in the same bathroom/bedroom she had been in all her life. After spending 2 days at Emergency Vet and 3 more at the regular vet - she just came around and was fine. They had no explanation (other than answered prayer!) She has been healthy ever since except for her low weight. I'm feeding her Royal Canin canned baby cat and a dish of dry Royal Canin baby cat - all she can eat. I'm fostering a 5 week old for the rescue and he eats almost as much as she does. (Photo at vet after scary episode)
Ophelia at vet.jpg

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely, Mazie! Being involved in rescue, I am 100% for spay/neuter! The vet said she wanted to wait until she was 6 months old due to her history. Even then, I will be a nervous wreck but it must be done!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, Mazie! Being involved in rescue, I am 100% for spay/neuter! The vet said she wanted to wait until she was 6 months old due to her history. Even then, I will be a nervous wreck but it must be done!
My vet had Rocket wait until she was six or seven months old. While her health issues weren't that scary, she had lots of low points. So we waited until she had all her shots and no recent health scares. I was watching her like a hawk. Even though she got outdoor play time with my neutered males; she never was out of my direct line during those times.

Here she is recovering from her spay. Which I also was watching her closely throughout.

View media item 420581

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is so adorable! I loved seeing her playing with her monkey :redheartpump:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She’s beautiful! So she’s a Balinese?
Ophelia looks like black with white boots and bib domestic shorthair to me but she may turn out to be long hair. I've seen some kittens really poof when they get their adult coats or winter coats.

If you're asking about Rocket, she's a Bicolor seal point domestic shorthair AKA Snowshoe Siamese Lookalike.

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi still available umbilical cord
I'm not sure what you are asking. Her umbilical cord was still attached when she was found, abandoned. That just indicates how young she was and should have still been with her mother. I had to bottle feed her and none of her siblings survived. I have adopted her and she is doing well so far. Still small for her age (6+months now)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi momto2. I have been following this thread with much interest. Congratulations on the good results in Ophelia's care. Would love to see a recent pic of her. She is lovely.

By the way I couldn't find in this thread the post you are quoting from Aarya2508 enquirying about the umbilical cord. Curious I think.

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi momto2. I have been following this thread with much interest. Congratulations on the good results in Ophelia's care. Would love to see a recent pic of her. She is lovely.

By the way I couldn't find in this thread the post you are quoting from Aarya2508 enquirying about the umbilical cord. Curious I think.
I think the person may have been removed. She was asking me to send her the umbilical cord when it fell off!!! :( Of course, she is 6 months old now so...it's long gone. I don't even want to think about why someone would ask that!

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ophelia update: She is 8 months old this week
20181014_134847 2.jpg
- the vet thinks she is finally large enough and healthy enough to schedule her spay. She is still under 5 lbs. but full of vim and vigor! She likes to pose with her paws crossed - such a proper little girl!

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you ~ She is very special to us:lovecat4: as are all of our fur babies but she is special with a cherry on top!

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kidlets JPEG 1.jpg
Kidlets JPEG 4.jpg
Kidlets JPEG 2.jpg
Kidlets JPEG 1.jpg
Kidlets JPEG 4.jpg
Kidlets JPEG 2.jpg
Ophelia and I spoke to elementary school students this week about the importance of adoption/ spaying or neutering your cat/ and how we care for orphan newborns in our rescue. She was a big hit with the kiddos!