Small Intestine Lymphoma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheyennesmom19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She use to get kibble but since she had been sick I switched her to can cat food. Can I soak her kibble to make easier for her to eat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She use to get kibble but since she had been sick I switched her to can cat food. Can I soak her kibble to make easier for her to eat?
Certainly can't hurt to try! Or, gravy pouches if water doesn't work. If she is eating canned food, are you trying to add kibble for the caloric content?

Cheyennesmom19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Certainly can't hurt to try! Or, gravy pouches if water doesn't work. If she is eating canned food, are you trying to add kibble for the caloric content?
I bought some Merrick senior cat food but her teeth are bad so I am not sure she can crunch it but I do have some grave pouches that I could add to it...

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your girl. I'm so glad that she is responding well though! I hope she has more good days than bad ahead of her and can live as long as possible with a good quality of life.

Cheyennesmom19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:( So its been a week since I took her to the vet in Tulsa who gave her that steroid shot. And it seems like her urge to eat has gone down some. And the lumps under her chin we can feel start to come back. She still eats on her own but not as much as she was. :(

I am not wondering :help: if I should start her on those pills that the vet gave me? Or should I wait a couple more days. I am unsure of what to do, I am trying to hang onto hope and stay positive that she's just having a bad day. Most likely I will go back to the store to see if I can't find some more enticing food for her to eat.

But I did order the Immunity Support from Vitality Science so I am hoping that it will help her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have any guidance on steroids. I got Krista through pancreatitis and IBD using the Pet Flora, Feline Comfort, and Luxolite from Vitality Science. Nothing short of amazing!

Though honestly I think the best she ever was was the four months she ate Rad Cat (raw) before their demise and our stock ran out. She hasn’t taken to a raw recipe since. :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you make her a meat stock by simmering meaty bones for a couple of hours? Tap the marrow out of the bones into your stock. You can feed her the stock mostly but some of the meat too if she wants it. But most of the good gut healing nutrition will be in the stock. This is one time where a gravy-licking cat can really get some good vitamins and minerals into her even if she doesn’t eat the meat. If she does have any intestinal inflammation, this should help with that. And if she’s just having a hard time eating, this is some nutritional support until you can get her eating restarted.

Cheyennesmom19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you make her a meat stock by simmering meaty bones for a couple of hours? Tap the marrow out of the bones into your stock. You can feed her the stock mostly but some of the meat too if she wants it. But most of the good gut healing nutrition will be in the stock. This is one time where a gravy-licking cat can really get some good vitamins and minerals into her even if she doesn’t eat the meat. If she does have any intestinal inflammation, this should help with that. And if she’s just having a hard time eating, this is some nutritional support until you can get her eating restarted.
I bought some chicken broth and I do have beef bouillon cubes that I could boil to make beef broth. We usually buy all of our beef boneless so I don't really have bones.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would go ahead and start the pills if it were me. I am not a vet though, just saying what I would do if it were me.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some chicken broth and I do have beef bouillon cubes that I could boil to make beef broth. We usually buy all of our beef boneless so I don't really have bones.
Not the same! You don't want to use soup stock or boullion especially if there is added seasonings.

Make it from scratch! Visit a butcher and ask for meaty bones for making bone broth. You're stopping short of making bone broth which is simmering the bones for a day or two. Meat stock is gentler than bone broth. It doesn't have to be beef. Not every cat likes beef. You can make it from chicken or turkey too. Or rabbit if you have a store that sells dressed rabbits. There's a couple supermarkets here that do.

Cheyennesmom19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was just holding her, her nose was right by my ear and she sounds very stuffy. And I started her on those pills - will the steroids help with that?

Cheyennesmom19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I noticed that when she's on the shots she sneezes?

I am very worried about her right now... :nervous::headscratch:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cheyanne, I'm so sorry for all of this. It sounds like you are taking the absolute best care of your little sweet heart and she is so lucky to have you.
I lost my Timmer to lymphoma. He did not respond to the leukoran drug or anything else. It is a shock to get information like this about our loved ones. If it were me I would give your kitty the pills the vet gave you, if she will take them. Give her whatever she wants to eat.
This is so so difficult. I know. I feel your pain, your struggle to do whatever you can to make this all go away. We love them so much!

Cheyennesmom19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cheyanne, I'm so sorry for all of this. It sounds like you are taking the absolute best care of your little sweet heart and she is so lucky to have you.
I lost my Timmer to lymphoma. He did not respond to the leukoran drug or anything else. It is a shock to get information like this about our loved ones. If it were me I would give your kitty the pills the vet gave you, if she will take them. Give her whatever she wants to eat.
This is so so difficult. I know. I feel your pain, your struggle to do whatever you can to make this all go away. We love them so much!
The lumps under her chin are coming back. And I did start her on those pills last night.

You want an easy fix, give her the pill the lumps will go down instantly and she will be hungry. But it doesn't work that way, I know that we all know that's not how it works.

Tomorrow that stuff that I ordered from Vitality Science will be here and I am anxious to try it. I just hope I can get her to eat some of it.

And once again I am going to go to Petco and try to find something that she likes. She seems to like the foods that have lots of gravy, so I guess that's what I will try to find.

Its hard, I have never gone through this with an animal. I am trying to stay positive but its so HARD when you see her turn her nose up at food and your instant thought is she's going down hill how do I stop it how do I make her feel better...

I will keep you guys updated on her.

Thank you so much for every ones kind words, support and advise. I really do appreciate it!!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the Tiki Cat tuna flavors. These were what got Krista eating when she didn't feel much like eating because pancreatitis. Whatever hesitations you might have about feeding fish, now's not the time. Better to feast at McDonald's than starve at Whole Foods. Fancy Feast Classic pates are also popular. I would recommend pates over gravy/shreds because she needs a lot more nutrtion than gravy-licking will get her. Buy the gravies if that's what she likes and will eat. But mix them with pates so she actually gets nutrition enough to sustain herself.

For the supplements, if she doesn't like them mixed with food, use something like PureBites tuna in water or salmon in water and mix the supplements with the water. Let her have have a few bites of the fish too as a treat. Make this "medicine meal" as small as you can so she can finish it in a few bites and get to the real food. You want her to get all the supplements so she has to eat it all. But make it super-palatable (use Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse toppers if she'll eat them--those are really popular with Krista too!) so she can gulp it down.

I found for the supplements that Krista didn't like, this quick medicine meal worked much better. She got tuna and tuna water and she was done with the dose before she could complain. And I wasn't "poisoning" her food because you don't want to set her off of eating or foods that she likes.

kittie84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I did the same thing when my Serj (boy) had breast cancer. They have those fancy packs of fish with gravy... did the all healthy stuff, did the fancy feast gravy ones....anything. They say the smellier the more attractive, but it will be a guessing game. My thought on this is let your baby eat whatever she will.
I wish you the best on this journey. These things are so hard.

KarenF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And does anybody else cabinet look like this?

View attachment 291354

Mine did! My cat Mango [RIP :( ] had intestinal lymphoma, and finding things for him to eat was always a struggle. At one point, I had a spreadsheet to keep track of what he would eat. His favorite was the packets of chicken in pumpkin broth, so if you haven't tried that yet, give it a shot!

(Mango lived for 3.5 years after his initial diagnosis of lymphoma, so, don't despair!)