Small drop of spit and blood

Phailak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

In the past few weeks, found 3 separate occasions a small drop of what looks like a mix of spit and some blood. Not much blood. Size of the tip of my finger. At first I thought maybe while eating he must of cut something in his mouth. Cat is 2 years old, happened maybe two other times in two years but not at this frequency. Wondering if others have had a similar experience and have advice. BTW, cat seems to be in perfect health, eats well, fit, plays a lot, sleeps well.

Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If it is spit and blood, it could be teeth issues. He is pretty young to have issues with his teeth, but it is possible. Initially, when you saw it, it could have been related to getting his final adult teeth, but not at 2 yo I wouldn't think. Has your vet ever checked his teeth?
Also, look around for something he could be getting into within your home - chewing on something that is irritating his gums.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Phailak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply, yes last app. was perhaps 8 months ago, everything was fine including the teeth. The five times I found the drops, there was nothing around that I could figure he chewed on nor was there pieces of litter or food around it. He doesn't drool either and it feels too small to be spit up or vomit so not sure how it happens.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then, make sure it isn't coming from the 'other end'. Is it fresh looking blood, or darker blood? If darker, it might be secretions from his anal glands rather than actual blood, and maybe the 'spit' is actually mucous.

Phailak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good point, I feel it's spit because it is almost clear with a tint of red and the consistency feels like spit but then again I wouldn't know what secretions would feel / look like. It definitely more clear / light than it is blood red / dark

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good point, I feel it's spit because it is almost clear with a tint of red and the consistency feels like spit but then again I wouldn't know what secretions would feel / look like. It definitely more clear / light than it is blood red / dark
Feeby had drips like that - coloring too - that I actually thought were blood and turned out to be anal gland secretions. But, she also had something very similar when she developed a mild case of colitis, due to a food change. She had no other symptoms and when I removed the food, it went away.

Phailak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm... same food since we adopted him but I assume other situations can cause that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Treats, human food, other things you have fed him that are above and beyond his regular food? Maybe that would apply even more since it occurs kind of randomly? Check with your vet about bringing in a sample of it and see how small the sample could be and if it is 'scraped' from the surface you find it on if that would be acceptable for them to take a look at it. It is probably not enough on quantity, but just another thought...

Are they near his food, or his litterbox, or??? That might narrow down which 'end' they are coming from.

Now, I hope some other members can come along and offer some ideas, I am pretty much out of them! Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

Edit: if your vet accepts pics, you could send them one and see if someone recognizes what it might be????

Phailak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. My girlfriend is pretty thorough on not feeding him table scraps and I wouldn't dare, we both work from home so it is likely happening at night (we find it in the morning each time). Doesn't go outdoors either.
Of course, it is literally found in the basement each time where his food and litter are, smack in between them (both are about 20 feet apart), I noticed it was weird that it was in between each time but doesn't help me narrow it down

I'll probably bring him to the vet in the end

bengalwaffle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. My girlfriend is pretty thorough on not feeding him table scraps and I wouldn't dare, we both work from home so it is likely happening at night (we find it in the morning each time). Doesn't go outdoors either.
Of course, it is literally found in the basement each time where his food and litter are, smack in between them (both are about 20 feet apart), I noticed it was weird that it was in between each time but doesn't help me narrow it down

I'll probably bring him to the vet in the end
What happen to your cat? My cat also bleed from the mouth and I don't know what could be. It is a lot of fresh red blood, he is 3 years old

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi bengalwaffle bengalwaffle - can you start your own thread? The OP hasn't been active on this site since their last post, which has been a year ago. You will hopefully get better responses that way! And, include as much detail as you can to help those who read to your post understand your particular situation.