Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Small Cut Above Mouth

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by lucisabsentia, Jun 22, 2018.

1. lucisabsentia

lucisabsentia Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Feb 28, 2018
    Hey! I was hoping someone can help me out here. So tonight I realized that Pickett has what looks like a little patch of raw skin by his mouth. I'll include pictures below. I just noticed it today, I believe it had to have occurred today since I was with him all of the past two days, and never noticed it until after work today.

It's not actively like...bleeding. Like, it's hard to get a picture that really shows it, but it looks like a small patch of raw skin, and towards the bottom it looks like blood has risen to the surface, but it's not actively dripping blood.

What can I do? This seems pretty minor and I don't want to be overdramatic, but it's the first cut I've witnessed and I would just like some reassurance on what I should be doing next.

cut 2.jpg cut1.jpg

2. Kori

Kori TCS Member Kitten

Jun 22, 2018
    That’s a superficial graze, so don’t worry too much. Your cat is likely to have over groomed or gotten in to a scrap outdoors (if it’s an outdoor kitty).

It will heal just fine over the next few days, but if you can’t leave it alone, a basic soothing skin cream from somewhere like pets at home can be applied. There’s lots of options but I always avoid anything with tea tree in it, because I don’t know if you’ve ever used that on a cut but it burns, and I am not inflicting that on one of my babies! :)

lucisabsentia purraised this.

3. Mamanyt1953

Mamanyt1953 Rules my home with an iron paw Staff Member Forum Helper

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    That is just what it looks like. Now, there is a slim chance that it could be some skin issue, so if it does NOT heal within a very few days, or if it gets bigger, head to the vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment. I'm betting it will clear up, though.

lucisabsentia purraised this.

4. lucisabsentia

lucisabsentia Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks guys! I figured it was something small, but I'm more used to dealing with my lizards so things like cuts tend to make me anxious because lizards get far, far fewer and it's usually a bigger deal. So I get a bit panicky :lol:

silkenpaw and Kori purraised this.

5. Mamanyt1953

Mamanyt1953 Rules my home with an iron paw Staff Member Forum Helper

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Better safe than sorry, and NEVER hesitate to ask! That's what we are here for.