Small cat?

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten was neutered yesterday, but the vets kept commenting on how small he is, but that he seemed healthy.

I'm assuming that they would not have put him under if they were concerned.

He weighs around 3 pounds, and from what I've read (and partly seen - he has always seemed small to me and the neutering was postponed a month because he didn't weigh enough /weren't old enough) he's half the weight and size he should be.

His behavioural development seems pretty normal though. Anything to be concerned about? Some obscure syndrome that will make him sick when he's 2?

Sorry, first time cat owner over here.

He very likely had worms when I got him, and he has been feed mostly adult kibble so far. Can that have anything to do with the small size?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He very likely had worms when I got him, and he has been feed mostly adult kibble so far. Can that have anything to do with the small size?
Have the worms been taken care of? They cause diminished nutrition for the cat. Also, you need to obtain kitten food, including wet food because those are specifically formulated to help kittens with their bodies higher nutritional demands.

He could simply be on the small side, but more age specific food can be quite helpful to ensure that the needs of his developing systems are met :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Change him to more food specific for a kitten, and just watch over him. If he is doing well otherwise, just keep a careful eye on him.

How about a pic or two - and, his name, of course!!

Edit: Oh yeah, in case this would help any overall.
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have the worms been taken care of? They cause diminished nutrition for the cat. Also, you need to obtain kitten food, including wet food because those are specifically formulated to help kittens with their bodies higher nutritional demands.

He could simply be on the small side, but more age specific food can be quite helpful to ensure that the needs of his developing systems are met :)
Yup, he's been dewormed for sure now.

The reason for him eating mostly adult kibble is because that was what his entire litter was fed, and when I got him I started feeding him mostly kitten food and wet food straight away, which only resulted in giving him diarrhea.

I'm currently changing his food to age appropriate and wet food, but we're doing it slowly.