Small amounts of wee - any thoughts...

shadowfein

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there

My kitten was spayed on Friday. She went to the loo for a wee on Friday night and was fine. Since then though, she keeps on going to the litter box and has a tiny little wee at a time. And she does this lots. Sometimes she goes to the box and then doesn't wee at all. She doesn't seem to be in distress at all and is her normal playful self. I called the emergency vet about it last night and they told me that it wasn't an emergency and that it could be one of two things - either she was just sore from the op and it hurt for her to go to the loo or she could have a slight infection. They said that I should keep an eye on her and if it is not better by tonight - should take her back. Does this sound right?

Secondly - they suggested that is I wanted to give her something for the pain, I could give her disprin (aspirin) > they said to give her a sixteenth of a tablet. I said that aspirin was poisonous for cats though - she said that it was only bad when you gave them lots.... Needless to say - I didn't give her any disprin. Any thoughts on this?

jenluckenbach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it could be either of those problems. (sore from the operation or an infecton). Definitely keep an eye on her because if she is sore she recover soon but if she's infected you'll need antibiotics.
As far as the aspirin goes, they would not recommend it if it was bad, but I too would be wary. And how do you get 1/16 th of a tablet anyway. Better to err on the side of caution there.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't use asprin with my cats. Although the vets will give you a dose, and it could be safe, I don't trust it.
I would call the vet and ask to put her on antibiotics. It's very likely she has a urinary tract infection. Probably from the stress of the surgery, or holding it at the vets office.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowfein

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I took her to the vet - they said that her bladder was empty but that her temp was slightly raised - 38.6. They said that in all likelihood it prolly was just that she was sore from the op - they said even more so perhaps as she was in season when they did it. They gave her a Mobic injection (anti-inflammatory), and a synulox injection (anti-biotic). They said that it might be an infection and so gave her anti-biotics to take every day just in case - she eats them like kibbles - I just put it on the floor and she vacuums it up.

If it doesn't clear up by Friday, they said I should bring her back.

Thanks for the advice!