Small amount of blood in kitten poo - should I be concerned?

toranori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just got two kittens on Monday (they are 7.5 weeks).
One of them did a poo about an hour ago and it was a bit soft with one (possible two) speck of blood in it. I've attached a picture of it (hope this is allowed).
Does anyone know if I should be concerned about this? We hadn't noticed anything in her poo before but hadn't been looking. She seems fine (running around, purring etc) and her belly is a bit rounder than her sisters.
We started changing her food today (a bit of the new food in with the old) - may this have caused this?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have they been checked out by a vet yet? If not, they need to be. The rounding of the belly (and, the blood) could be due to worms, but there could be other causes as well. If you have had them to a vet already, you can take a stool sample to the vet and ask them about running a fecal PCR test which would look for parasites as well as bacterial and viral causes. You would just have to make sure your vet will accept a sample without actually seeing the kitten. These kittens are very young, so I am not sure a vet visit isn't in order anyway - probably for both kittens. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toranori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! We have tried ringing vets and they said it's likely just a bit of constipation or tummy issues and as she is fine otherwise to just monitor her for 24 hours. Her poos seem to be getting better but we are going to be giving her boiled chicken for a bit now. It's frustrating because we really want to get them to a vet to get them checked over as they are too young (we thought they were 8 weeks but were then told their birthday after they were here) but they are not seeing animals for general check ups due to Coronavirus :( they said if she gets worse in 24 hours they will see her though so hopefully it works out!