Smacking kitty head

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'd certainly listen for the sounds of nails getting stuck in flesh. Even though its clearly intended as play, some cats aren't totally perfect about retracting the nails. That can happen with head smacks too. So I wouldn't say to take it casually per se. I just don't think its necessarily a problem or a sign of problems, especially with a 4 month old kitten as opposed to a true baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner kitten is taking to it. She isn’t crying and comes back for seconds.
I think what art saying it looks worse than it is.
I watch very closely

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Back again, we saw no improvement (yet there was no blood or hair flying) a few times the kitten cried but she's 5 lbs and Oscar is 15 so I suspect he was too heavy.

We are going to start the introduction over again. Any suggestion on how long to keep them away from eye contact?

Again, never saw blood or anything. I think it's just weight thing and seems worse. No growling. Random hissing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless the kitten is now acting afraid of Oscar, like running from him and hiding, and not coming back for more later (as I thought she previously was), I am not sure you need to start all over. Are you seeing signs of stress in Oscar?

What about just backing up to the step where they are separated by a baby gate/blockade and swapping which side of the gate they are on? You are probably just going to have to stay on this step for a while until the kitten gets bigger.

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks FeebysOwner FeebysOwner she comes back for more definitely. He pins her down, she gets up and he pins her down again and after a few times she cries

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you think that's just him playing?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be, but the hissing might suggest he is still somewhat annoyed by her presence - especially if doesn't routinely hiss otherwise. It is probably more like he is telling her who is boss.

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner when I put the gate up Oscar ends up meowing and making noises. Meowing etc and I feel bad

Should I just let him make the noises?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner as I usually do -- I dont see a need to back up here. Nothing wrong with an older cat physically telling kitten they are the boss and to leave them the hell alone when they say so. Teaching manners as some put it. Older cats that do that tend to do a *lot* better than older cats that just get stressed by a kitten and try to avoid it. Also, as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner alluded to, its highly significant that the kitten only cries when its going on, and comes right back for more shortly afterwards. Thats the kitten telling you everything is ok -- and you can 100% trust that. If the kitten was feeling or hurt or terrified, it would be constantly hiding/avoiding.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He pins her down, she gets up and he pins her down again and after a few times she cries
It does sounds like play. Hissing, growling, and crying are often part of play. Yes, he's bigger and could really hurt her if he wanted to. Remember she also has teeth and claws and if she was scared she'd use them to get away and hide. As she gets bigger their play might scare you more. Look at some youtube videos of cat/kitten play.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner when I put the gate up Oscar ends up meowing and making noises. Meowing etc and I feel bad Should I just let him make the noises?
It would seem he wants to be near the kitten - whether that is to 'enjoy' her or 'annoy' her, I don't know. If you can be diligent with observing them together in the same space, then go ahead and open the gate when you are able to watch them.

But, at this juncture, you need to be prepared to intervene so that he is not constantly 'tackling' her whether he means it as play or not. I would just go over to him and separate them, tell him to 'be nice' and continue to do so until he kind of understands he needs to be gentler with her, or until she is big enough to 'swat' him back!!