Slow feeding apparatus for raw food?

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats tend to eat too quickly and puke that expensive food all out 😑 I know they make slow feeders for dry and wet food, but I'm not sure if I can use them for raw as well? I'm afraid of bacteria building up in the crevices.

Any cat parents with solutions to gobble pukers out there? 😆

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't have any experience with slow feeders, but the only solution I’ve found for Iris, my scarf-and-barfer, is to split her meal into two feedings about 45 minutes apart. I also take the chill off her food so the cold stuff isn’t hitting her tummy. Seems to help. I’ve reduced her vomiting from a couple of times a week to a couple of times a month. I’ll take it! :)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The same helped in my case. Mine eats small portions only, not more than 40grams, on an elevated dish, spread on the biggish plate.

I wanted to use slow feeders but the ones I had were plastic. I wouldn’t feed raw food on plastic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm I can probably feed smaller portions for dinner and feed again before bed, but morning would be tough. Oh cats, why do you have to scarf it down so fast!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I can probably feed smaller portions for dinner and feed again before bed, but morning would be tough. Oh cats, why do you have to scarf it down so fast!
What if you just give them half the food in the morning first then wait a few minutes before giving them the rest?

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
What if you just give them half the food in the morning first then wait a few minutes before giving them the rest?
Do you think a few mins would do the trick? 🤔

I've been trying so hard to get them to slow down. Now I feed everyone separately to take the pressure off of fast eaters coming to steal food from slow eaters. They're just always hungry!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think a few mins would do the trick? 🤔

I've been trying so hard to get them to slow down. Now I feed everyone separately to take the pressure off of fast eaters coming to steal food from slow eaters. They're just always hungry!
Maybe give it 10 mins in between. I think that would be fine. A slow feeder wouldn’t slow it down more than that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Mornings are the worst . So very small amount then more 10 minutes later. Dry food is a no no for sure in the morning. Many cats will eat it without chewing because they are hungry(I sleep too long).

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meal feeding is already such an ordeal, feeding portions 10 minutes apart doesn't really take any longer.

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
So this morning didn't work out so well. I gave the problem child, Aloo, half the breakfast, but she didn't want that food. She ate a little, but then she puked that out. I caught most of it in my hand hahahahaha. So I gave her some slippery elm for now.

And as usual, everyone independently decided breakfast wasn't up to par, even though they've eaten it without a fuss before. Eventually, the foster kitten ate all the leftovers.

WHY CATS WHY