Slippery Elm Vs. Marshmallow Root?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the pros and cons of slippery elm vs. marshmallow root?

Homemade slippery elm bark syrup has truly been a godsend for our chronically sick kitty. But we were just wondering if syrup made from marshmallow root might be worth a try.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both are excellent choices - I am using a licorice root/slippery elm/marshmallow root decoction for my ferals as they are prone to URI. I like marshmallow root especially for bladder problems and slippery elm for intestinal issues. All 3 are recommended for lung/breathing support. For nasal congestion, I also like to use Homeopet's Feline Nose Relief at 10 drops per 1 pint of good well water. Be sure to run all this by your vet or consult a holistic vet - I was raised using herbs as was my vet so we are familiar with combining traditional & modern medicine - it really helps with ferals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both are excellent choices - I am using a licorice root/slippery elm/marshmallow root decoction for my ferals as they are prone to URI. I like marshmallow root especially for bladder problems and slippery elm for intestinal issues. All 3 are recommended for lung/breathing support. For nasal congestion, I also like to use Homeopet's Feline Nose Relief at 10 drops per 1 pint of good well water. Be sure to run all this by your vet or consult a holistic vet - I was raised using herbs as was my vet so we are familiar with combining traditional & modern medicine - it really helps with ferals.
Thanks oodles! *hugs*

I've read that licorice has great anti-inflammatory properties, almost like a prescription steroid. I've just been too spooked to give it a try since our vet hasn't been able to give us any guidance re: the dosage. I have a heart arrhythmia, so I have a healthy respect for licorice. ;)

Our vet has really been supportive of us using slippery elm bark syrup for a variety of ailments, e.g., the really awful mouth sores Buddy gets during herpes outbreaks or courses of Veraflox, an upset tummy, hairballs, etc.

The weirdly funny thing is that Buddy's chronic skin problems just happen to improve significantly when I give him SEB syrup for an upset tummy or whatnot. So that just piqued my curiosity as to the benefits and downsides of slippery elm vs. marshmallow root. I've found lots of articles about slippery elm, but not so much about marshmallow root. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have similar benefits, but SE tends to work better for nausea.
Ah, okay. Thanks!

I was just reading something the other day that said slippery elm is high in magnesium, and could possibly contribute to the formation of urinary tract crystals. So that just spooked me a little, even though Buddy's urinary tract problems have been more along the lines of inflamation and urethral spasms. And that's what got me to wondering about the pro and cons of slippery elm vs. marshmallow root. :)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, okay. Thanks!

I was just reading something the other day that said slippery elm is high in magnesium, and could possibly contribute to the formation of urinary tract crystals. So that just spooked me a little, even though Buddy's urinary tract problems have been more along the lines of inflamation and urethral spasms. And that's what got me to wondering about the pro and cons of slippery elm vs. marshmallow root. :)
I've never heard of any cats developing crystals from using it and we have a lot of people giving in the IBD cat groups on facebook, but you could use marshmallow in place if you're concerned. I don't know that it thickens up into a syrup like SE does tho. I know in general they have similar benefits for the GI tract.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of any cats developing crystals from using it and we have a lot of people giving in the IBD cat groups on facebook, but you could use marshmallow in place if you're concerned. I don't know that it thickens up into a syrup like SE does tho. I know in general they have similar benefits for the GI tract.
I guess we'll probably stick with slippery elm, at least for now. But it's nice to have another option, just in case. Buddy does seem to keep us on our toes. :wink: