Slippery Elm for possible nausea

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really don't know if Feeby is nauseous or not, but she is so very picky about her food nowadays. For her 'breakfast', which if it is a food she likes, she will eat 3/4 of a 3oz can within a couple of hours. But, after that, she sits in front of her food bowl during the afternoon, I guess waiting for 'something different'. I have tried all kinds of different foods, as well as various toppers, and now even FortiFlora. None of it makes a significant difference.

So, my next step is slippery elm. For any of you who are using it for nausea, do you give it with food or not? I have a read a few articles that say it isn't as effective if not given at least 1/2 hour before a meal. And, others say not to give it with meds - but, no one says what meds. I have also read that giving it with food mostly works on diarrhea - which she does not have, so I don't want to 'mess with something that doesn't need to be messed with'. But, I have also read about many who have had success with curbing nausea even when given with foods.

What do you all do? Thanks.
I tried an all natural medicine for my cats bladder problem years ago. She ended up with the worse case of Diarrhea . Took the bottle to my vet. She read the ingredients and said it was due to the slippery elm. Stopped it and the Diarrhea stopped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried an all natural medicine for my cats bladder problem years ago. She ended up with the worse case of Diarrhea . Took the bottle to my vet. She read the ingredients and said it was due to the slippery elm. Stopped it and the Diarrhea stopped.
When I give Feeby slippery elm, it does not cause diarrhea. Sorry it caused that issue with your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm, maybe the vet was wrong? Glad it works for yours.
It might have been the dosage that caused your cat's diarrhea. By itself, only a very, very small amount of slippery elm is needed. Additionally, the way slippery elm works is different depending on when it is given. If given with food, it tends to have more of an effect on the lower digestive tract and is supposed to help with either diarrhea or constipation. If given about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before food, it tends to coat the stomach in order to help with nausea/stomach upset.

Not only does the dosage make a difference but there are added ingredients in some forms of slippery elm that might have been the issue with your cat. Or, it it just could have been the combination of ingredients in the all natural medicine you gave her that was more of the issue.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might have been the dosage that caused your cat's diarrhea. By itself, only a very, very small amount of slippery elm is needed. Additionally, the way slippery elm works is different depending on when it is given. If given with food, it tends to have more of an effect on the lower digestive tract and is supposed to help with either diarrhea or constipation. If given about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before food, it tends to coat the stomach in order to help with nausea/stomach upset.

Not only does the dosage make a difference but there are added ingredients in some forms of slippery elm that might have been the issue with your cat. Or, it it just could have been the combination of ingredients in the all natural medicine you gave her that was more of the issue.
There were other ingredients. The pill was for her bladder problem but the only one the vet picked out was the slippery elm. I don't remember anything more about it. Was to long ago. I do remember I gave her 2 chewable pills twice a day.