Slippery Elm bark Causing Vomiting?

gatinos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I've recently started a thread for one of my cat's health issues (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/335442/...-knowing-what-steps-to-take-next-we-need-help) We suspect he has IBS, although he hasn't been officially diagnosed yet.

The advice we've found at this site has been very helpful and for that, I first want to say thank you.

After much reading I found out about slippery elm and its benefits for IBS kitties and all kitties for that matter, so last night I made the syrup:

Into a small saucepan place 1/2 cup cold water and 3/4 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark. Whip with a fork to break up clumps. Bring to simmer on low heat, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened to a syrup or molasses consistency. Cool and refrigerate for up to 7 days.

I gave both kitties 1/2 a teaspoon of the syrup mixed with warmed goat's milk right before bedtime, as I've read it's very beneficial to give it then, and to let it work throughout the night.

Surprisingly, I was woken up twice during the night by my other cat who has been in good health all this time. She vomited twice and this morning. Not much, just a bit of brown juice with a little bit of hair.

This morning she was looking for our grass pot (we've grown some organic grass in hopes of helping our other cat with his excess stomach acid.)

She's used this grass a few times in the past, when a hairball had gotten stuck, and it's worked well for her. She doesn't normally pay too much attention to it.

She had some and vomited the grass and some acid right after.

I tried to give her some goat's milk a little later but she didn't want any food, which is understandable. I'm not neccesarily too worried about her not eating yet. It's only been an hour since she vomited!

What I'm worried about is the slippery elm. I had really high hopes it would be helpful for both of my kitties' gut health and it really looked like that's what she actually vomited.

Any thoughts?

I'm posting a photo of the syrup I made, in case it doesn't look like what it' supposed to. Not the best photo but at least you can see the color and consistency.

Thank you in advance to all readers, posters, helpers and kitty lovers out there! :)

Love, Silvia, Asha & Nene.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats have very sensitive GI system and they vomited after a dosing of SEB.  Not surprising as they pretty much vomit almost anything that they're not familiar with.  I was hoping SEB would help with one of my cat's constipation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gatinos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My cats have very sensitive GI system and they vomited after a dosing of SEB.  Not surprising as they pretty much vomit almost anything that they're not familiar with.  I was hoping SEB would help with one of my cat's constipation.
Thank you for your reply @tdonline,

I had no idea this could happen. I read so much about it before giving it to them, I was really surprised. 

In your case, do you think it was a dosage issue? I'm wondering if maybe I gave them too much (1/2 teaspoon) for the first time. 

If you're still having issues with a constipated kitty I read aloe vera water could be very helpful! 

All the best.

Justineblanco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The same thing happened to me. He vomited twice in the middle of the night. Once it was his food that I mixed it in with the other time it was a white liquid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gatinos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The same thing happened to me. He vomited twice in the middle of the night. Once it was his food that I mixed it in with the other time it was a white liquid.
I'm sorry the same happened to your kitty.

White liquid or foam vomit happens when a kitty has nausea and an irritated tummy.

I'm not sure what's happening with you kitty but my advice is to start trying to help him asap.

I wish I had taken those small symptoms more seriously when they first started happening.

After much research and reading, I have come to understand the importance of a healthy gut and digestion for a healthy kitty.

All the best and don't hesitate to ask any questions here! :)