Sleepy from gabapentin

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I've been giving my cat gabapentin for the last 4-5 days for chronic pain and anxiety. The vet wanted me to start at 25mg(1/2 ml) I started at 12 mg (.2ml)because my cat seems sensitive to meds. I gave her .4ml(about 20mg) yesterday and she was fine no sleepiness. Today I gave her the full 25mg (.5ml)and all she wants to do is sleep. Very groggy and doesn't seem to be herself. Does anyone know how long it takes to wear off? I gave it at 8:30 this morning. I want to find the right dose so she isn't all doped up. Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Other than talking with your vet again I'm not sure how to help since every cat is different and can react differently.

This poster may have information for you if they see this re; post #5;
Is gabapentin constipating?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would definitely call the vet, tell him exactly what dosages you gave, and the reactions. When you gave the reduced dosage, did she seem comfortable? Ate ok? You want to tell the vet that, as well.

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am giving my cat 25 mg of gabapentin every 12 hours, short term, and is incredibly sedating for her... she just sleeps all day. The sleepiness seems to wear off in about 12 hours with my cat. My vet had originally prescribed 50 mg, but the sedation effect is too strong at that dose, so I told my vet I didn't want to do 50 mg. But now, I am re-thinking the 25 mg does too... I don't want to keep my cat asleep all day long. I guess every cat is different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am giving my cat 25 mg of gabapentin every 12 hours, short term, and is incredibly sedating for her... she just sleeps all day. The sleepiness seems to wear off in about 12 hours with my cat. My vet had originally prescribed 50 mg, but the sedation effect is too strong at that dose, so I told my vet I didn't want to do 50 mg. But now, I am re-thinking the 25 mg does too... I don't want to keep my cat asleep all day long. I guess every cat is different.
Yeah I skipped her dose today because she still wasn't normal. I'm thinking I'll go back to the 12.5 to 20 range. I didn't like seeing her all dopey!