Sleeping With Their Eyes Open?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your cats ever sleep with their eyes open? Is this indicative of a dangerous health condition? Atticus, my male two year old tabby has done it his entire life.

I'm just curious.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket does this sometimes. She was feral and has more survival habits then the boys do. Everything I've ever read on the subject says it is not indicitive of a problem. Rockets been doing it for three years now and her annual vet exam has always come back clean. I even did a full blood work up and x-rays when she was a kitten since all her litter mates died within a week off each other. Nothing showed up outside the norm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the input, Kieka! I appreciate it. I need to snap a photo of Atticus doing this. He looks awful!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats often aren't fully asleep, even when we think they are.

They sometimes doze in and out of "twilight sleep." Sort of the way a human does when they start to wake up in the morning.

Kinda' conscious... Kinda' asleep.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy does this! I was wondering if that really was what she was doing. She can be looking at me with her eyes open but gives me her 'you startled me, Merow' when I touch her.

Last edited:

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Charlie does this all the time and it really freaks me out. He will be fast asleep and his eyes are glassed over I have to look at his chest / stomach to see if he is breathing. It doesn't matter how many times I literally have to check every time.