Sleeping Sickness In Cats?

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, some may remember that I have two 4yo brothers: Kyle & Keegie.  They are very laid back generally.

I recently lost a 5yo, Kinney to lymphoma.  So up until September, it was the three of them.  Kinney was always the star of the show and was VERY motivated with toys, made up games, involved in household activities, and dashing around the house - now that he is gone that energy is no longer.  It is very quiet since his passing.  Very quiet!

The brother Kyle was very jealousy motivated with regards to Kinney, so when Kin showed interest in a new toy or new activity - Kyle was also suddenly interested.  It was a game of competition with the two of them - neither to be outdone.  Now that Kinney is gone, Kyle has lost that competition motivation and is sleeping his life away.  His eating is still very good and he shows up for meals promptly, but not  long after eating he is back upstairs on the bed sacked out.

Kyle can sleep for hours and hours - dead to the world up on the bed.  He does manage to show up downstairs for our nap routine in the afternoon at exactly the same time everyday, so he doesn't seem to be losing track of what time it is.  But anything else - not.  Doesn't come to the door when I come in with grocery bags - doesn't stir when I am running the vacuum - doesn't stay around for TV in the living room at night.  Plays with selected toys he likes very briefly (even when I am making a great effort to entertain him), then disappears back upstairs the moment he is bored with them.  Hardly a personality in the house at all other than at mealtimes.

I am not sure whether to just chalk it off as disinterest, nerd-ism, or something wrong.  Last night we were having our weekly catnip and he fell asleep with his head in the catnip container.  Anyone hear of anything like this?  Hypo-thyroidism? Can't be bothered?  Can anything bring him back to the living?

On the other foot, brother Keegie hangs around me constantly all day.  Does come to the door, does sit next to me when TV is on, sleeps with me at night, involved, interested.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd definitely talk to the vet about this and get some bloodwork done to check to see if there's something going on medically. 

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You will want to take his temperature; it should be at least 100, but not over 102. Look at his gums; they should be pink. Lethargy is a sign of illness. Is he vomiting? Shivering? A cat that goes from being active and enjoying play to being inactive and uninterested in play is usually sick. Is there any coughing? Is he using his litter box normally?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm also wondering if he's depressed over the loss of his playmate.  You can use a baby ear thermometer to check his temp in his ear. 

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, this could be just a sign of grief. But, I still think a vet visit is in order to rule out illness. Try to stick to his routine as much as possible. But, give him lots of extra love!