Sleeping & Routine

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Juno last year at 4 months, I did not let her in my bedroom; I read somewhere that if you're not sure you want your cat sleeping with you, it's better to keep them out from the start so they don't think of the bedroom as *their* territory.

So far so good, but Juno has started communicating that she wants to be in my bedroom at night, and I sometimes relent on weekends or when I can "afford" a night of less than perfect sleep. I imagine if I kept at it consistently, she'd eventually adapt and not wake me up so much, but I just can't afford to have my sleep disrupted for the weeks it would take to get her adjusted. I have a very demanding job, I know my limits, and that would just not work.

So my question is: Is it better for me to revert to keeping her out always, or continue to let her in on occasion. I know cats like routine, but if consistency, night after night, is the most important thing for her wellbeing, it means she never gets to be in the bedroom (for my wellbeing). Appreciate any thoughts on which which approach would be kinder/better for her.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Only you can make that determination. I let Belle sleep in our room from the start (against advice from my wife) and never lost sleep because of it. Belle waits until I'm awake before pestering me for breakfast.

The bedroom is important territory to your cat because it's important territory to you.

Whatever you do, never forget- you're the parent. You're the Keeper Of Tinned Mice. It's your job to make sure your cat doesn't forget either. You have to find a solution that works for your household.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
As what adviced, it is up to you. Some people like me are light sleepers and can easily be disturbed whenever any of my cats walk all over me at night. Nevertheless, I still keep them with me at night because I also cannot sleep without them. LOL.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Only you can make that determination.
:yeah: I completely agree! Everyone's circumstances are different. Cats are like elephants, i.e. they never forget. So in my experience if you let Juno into the bedroom on weekends she will want to come in more frequently. Obviously she doesn't understand why she can come in one day but not another.

We've always let our cats come in our bedroom until our last cat who was determined to do everything in her power to keep us up at night. Needless to say my husband and I were sleep deprived for work. :yawn: We changed her habits by giving "Her Majesty" her own room complete with everything she would need and never had a problem again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:yeah: I completely agree! Everyone's circumstances are different. Cats are like elephants, i.e. they never forget. So in my experience if you let Juno into the bedroom on weekends she will want to come in more frequently. Obviously she doesn't understand why she can come in one day but not another.

We've always let our cats come in our bedroom until our last cat who was determined to do everything in her power to keep us up at night. Needless to say my husband and I were sleep deprived for work. :yawn: We changed her habits by giving "Her Majesty" her own room complete with everything she would need and never had a problem again.
Because I'm a first time cat "owner," and based on what I read about how important routines are to cats, I started to worry that I might be doing her harm by letting her in the bedroom on occasion, knowing it was never going to be "routine." But so far, it sounds like I would be fine continuing a mixed approach. I do love having her sleep at my feet (when she's not bounding around everywhere).

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a first time cat owner as well. Until we were accustomed to each other it was no cats in the bedroom period.

Now she's allowed to daytime and I put her own little kitty bed on mine for her (as well as a cat tree because my room is the only place with a window this side of the apartment).

Bedtime though and she's out and my door is closed until I'm awake. On weekends when I sleep in, I usually do my morning restroom run, then put her bed on the bed next to me and leave my door open just enough so she can come in if she wants, but she won't wake me meowing at my door.

She also has a little tent on a table by the bedroom window. I think she's decided mom is a dangerous sleeper and it's safer there... 20210814_185816.jpg
20210709_221055.jpg

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want to sleep with your cat without being disturbed you can make a routine in which before giving your cat’s dinner you play with it at least half an hour,this will make your cat tired and being tired + dinner time means rest and sleep.