Sleeping all day and not playing

Hiddenorchestra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten (12 weeks old) has been excessively sleeping since yesterday. He's been sleeping/resting all day and doesn't want to leave his cat tree. He's not playing and when he does it's short weak play. I think he's constipated too because the litter box mainly had pee. He's eating but he's not as excited about food and he doesn't finish his bowl as usual. I just feel that he's weak and tired. I called his vet in the morning and the vet technician told me not to worry and that maybe he was growing and needed his sleep. I am super worried and not very convinced, and the vet comes back on the 28th. Is this considered an emergency? What could be wrong with him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like he might be constipated. Try Miralax (only 1/8 tsp) to begin with. Mix it with a bit of water and add it to a bit of his food (ideally wet, or a lickable treat). Hopefully, a couple of days of doing this will get results.

Sounds like you are going to have to re-assess his food to ensure more moisture - and add multiple water dishes to your home. You can also add some 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken to his water - sometimes that will prompt more water intake.

If he doesn't soon have a bowel movement, then it will become an emergency. There are so many things that could be going on but seeing if constipation might be part of the problem is worth a try. He is still very, very young so time really is of the essence.
Kitten Constipation: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment (thesprucepets.com)
Constipation — Kitten Lady

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may very well be due to constipation, but it can be that he is constipated due to eating/drinking less.
The key regardless of cause is to be sure his intake of fluid and water is as much as usual or close to it as possible every day.
12 week olds have just a very small reserve and will go downhill fast if he does not get enough fluids and nutrition.
Canned pate is helpful now.
If there is any way you can get his temperature that will help to know whether it's urgent or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hiddenorchestra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may very well be due to constipation, but it can be that he is constipated due to eating/drinking less.
The key regardless of cause is to be sure his intake of fluid and water is as much or close to it as possible every day.
12 week olds have just a very small reserve and will go downhill fast if he does not get enough fluids and nutrition.
Canned pate is helpful now.
I haven't seen him drink so I've been adding some water to his wet food. He eats 1/2 or 3/4 of his food and I hand feed him the rest. I've been trying to get him to eat every 3-4 hours and he doesn't refuse the food, just eats less than usual.

I woke him up and tried to play with him a little in hopes that it might stimulate him a bit and his energy was much better that in the morning- albeit not his usual energy levels. He pooped in his litter box after our playing session, ate and now went to sleep again.

I am very worried because his usual personality is mischievous and active, but now he's just always sleeping. I also don't know if I managed to take him to the emergency vet they might not take him because he's technically eating and he's hydrated, no vomiting, diarrhea or anything like that.

I just hope he will be okay until I can schedule a vet appointment after Christmas 😔

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not normal for a 12 week old kitten to sleep so much. Fever will cause this. Has he had any vaccines?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hiddenorchestra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not normal for a 12 week old kitten to sleep so much. Fever will cause this. Has he had any vaccines?
He had his first shot a couple of weeks ago. Should have the second one in two weeks.

I have a feeling he might have some kind of infection, he used to sneeze until last week and he keeps squinting his eyes. Not sure if it's related though.