Sleeping A Lot After 2 Weeks Of Hospitalization

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ming is finally back home! I'm still trying to deal with his diabetes and finding the right dose (which is ever-changing as you know if you have a cat with diabetes).

He's also on steroids now which is a big no-no for diabetics but Ming's been through too much and it was time to try the "radical".

Anyway, he's been home for about 3.5 days. He sleeps a lot. I knew he'd be super sleepy for at least the first day but how long is too long? Plus, his BGs are all over the place.

But let's just pretend he's a regulated cat. How long would a "normal" cat sleep for after such a long hospitalization?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Depending on how much stress, noise and other things were going on, he may not have gotten much rest while he was there.

However, have you had a chance to talk to your vet again?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my girls had a two week stay while her overactive thyroid was treated. When I picked her up the vet warned me that she would likely be subdued and sleepy for a week or so from the several weeks of inactivity. And your guy has bigger medical issues and blood sugar fluctuations as well, so it doesn’t seem to be unusual for him to be sleeping more than usual. But if he isn’t getting up enough to eat or drink I would be concerned especially if you are giving him insulin.