Sleep and Insomnia

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am struggling with sleep and I am on a diet. Right now, I am nursing a muscle sprain (Gluteus region). It interfered with my sleep last night, but also as usual the mind wouldn't shut off. No Delta waves luring me to sleep. I thought once I got into a diet and exercise program, things would get better. I lost 16 pounds and could have lost some more(I will check in a few days.) I have been keeping active, despite this new injury. I think it will heal soon. Better sleep would certainly help with that problem.

I have gone to bed 9:30 a whole bunch of nights this week and still not much improvement. What does it take to get decent sleep? I am majorly frustrated.😬

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
It takes time to reset your internal clock, cats not driving you nuts, a husband not snoring, a dog not wanting to go out and a nice cool room :)
I am working on it. Hopefully it will finally reset. I wish I was younger again, I could sleep on the drop of a dime. It really gets tough when you get older.

Hope you start getting better sleep as well. Hang in there.🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I didn’t even see these posts until just now. I’m so sorry.
aliceneko aliceneko I’m so glad you’re sleeping well now. That’s so wonderful.
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose how are you doing lately? I hope you’re sleeping better. 🤗 I also hope your sprain is better!
CatladyJan CatladyJan definitely takes time!

How is everyone doing now? I know these posts were form a while ago. Hope you are all sleeping well.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sleeping pretty good since I haven’t been working and getting out in the yard. BellaGooch BellaGooch how has your sleep been?
I’m so glad to hear that! That’s wonderful.
It changes nightly, honestly. This past week has been pretty rough, but last night, I slept decent. I’ve been waking up a lot in the middle of the night.
I still have bad days, but it's getting better. I'm trying to get up in the morning and stay up.
:hugs: I’m sorry you have bad days, but I’m very glad to hear it’s getting better! Yes, that’s a struggle for me too.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there BellaGooch BellaGooch Thanks for checking on me and other members here. I was thinking of posting here yesterday before you posted, but ran out of time. My sleep hasn't been great. It takes me forever to get to sleep and my sleep is choppy. I am suppose to get 7-8 hours a night (especially since I am on this weight loss), but that is nearly impossible for me. I usually get 4, some times 5 and once in awhile 6 hours sleep a night.

My weight loss may be be beginning to slow down. I only lost 1 pound this week, bringing my weightloss total to 25 pounds (out of 60 pounds). I really want to lose 2 lbs a week since I have plenty more to go and don't want to be on a diet for too long. Oh btw, that sprain healed thankfully.

Say a little prayer for me , I have to tackle this Insomia and not have it interfere with my weightloss and life. I am glad you got a decent night of sleep after having such a rough week. Make sure to decompress every night before you go to bed. No electronics at least 2 hours before bed time. Prayer, meditation, or reading something uplifting can be helpful. Well, i hope you get some more good sleep. Take it one day at a time.:sleep::redheartpump:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been sleeping well. That’s so hard. (And feel free to post here anytime, that’s what this thread is for! :) )

25 pounds is wonderful, that’s great progress! I admire your consistency.Hang in there.:hugs:

I will definitely be praying. Thank you for your advice! Hang in there, and don’t give up.:redheartpump:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really helps to stop the Benadryl for a week or two to let your body get out of the habit and when you start again it works like it did in the beginning. Your body builds up a tolerance. I hope you mean 12 mg not grams, that would be 1200 mg!. When I stop Benadryl for my husband when he can't sleep again, I give him 25 mg of Doxylamine succinate. It is found at Wal-Mart just called 'Sleep - Aid' under the equate brand. Very cheap and REALLY works. It is an ingredient in nitetime cold medicines that helps you rest. This is just that ingredient, not the cold medicine with it. Most contain Benadryl, which wouldn't help when you want to reset your body. I highly recommend it, just one more thing to help you sleep!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob Thanks for mentioning Antihistimines for sleep, but sadly, they completely stopped working for me sometime ago. I was taking them for years. They did work for me in the past though.

BellaGooch BellaGooch Thanks for asking. I had some good nights, some not so good. I really thought my weight loss was going to be at a stand still since I didn't lose much weight last week. Well, I took my measurements and weighted myself and I am 4 pounds down (which brings my weight loss almost to the halfway mark at 29 out of 60 pounds). I cut out bread for nearly the whole week and exercised a lot. :yess: :woo:I am working through my sleep troubles and losing weight. I hope this inspires someone who doesn't think it is possible to lose weight when they are struggling with insomia.

Well, I hope all is well and that you are getting good sleep now. Don't give up. Hang tough. 💪🙂

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your body builds up a tolerance to antihistamines over time, That is why it is good to change them to something different at times. Unfortunately, if you read the main ingredient in 'sleep aids' they are all Benadryl. That is why I was so happy to find the doxylamine succinate. It works just as well as Benadryl, if not a little better.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the brand name of that?
Unisom is the brand name but every store has their own generic version.

My sleep schedule has been a mess lately. I've been getting to bed at 3 or 4 in the morning, and I have to get up at 6:45. So then I'm exhausted all day and take a nap when I get home from work which of course then makes me stay up later. . .ugh. Even if it is my natural schedule, that just doesn't work as long as I have to work, so I have to figure out how to reset it. I'm gonna try the doxylamine first, if that doesn't do it I'm going to try this one: Crash And Reboot