Sleep and Insomnia

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few other things you could try...

Have a small, high protein snack before bed....like a handful of almonds...the whole process of "rest and digest" will kick in and can help to fall and stay asleep. Also, if your like me and tend to wake up in the middle of the night with that uncomfortable empty stomach feeling, it stops that from happening...I sleep better if I have a snack before bed.
Wear socks, if you can stand it. Cold feet can cause people to not sleep well. If socks aren't an option, turn a heating pad on at the foot of your bed to warm your feet before you fall asleep.
Frankincense essential oil can help calm the mind.
If you have allergies, and take allergy meds, try taking them at night instead of the morning if you find you get a little stuffy or have post nasal drip as the night goes on.
Start making a routine where you get up and go to bed at the same time every day/night. And also include a bedtime ritual that includes some "self care".
If you are waking in the middle of the night with a lot on your mind, keep a journal next to your bed so you can write down your thoughts/worries/"to do's". When you write them down, it's easier to "let them go" so you can fall back asleep.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to keep in mind that I totally forgot about.......Frankincense is toxic to cats, so be very careful as to how you use it. For example, I will massage a drop of it into my scalp or in my facial moisturizer, then wash my hands, so I don't transfer it to my kitties. Or take a bath with it, but then wash down the tub when I'm done.
I have always had cats, and have always used essential oils...and never had any of my kitties develop health problems due to them. But I am EXTREMELY vigilant that the cats are safe and use them wisely. So again, just be careful if you decide to use this oil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got sleep last night!!!
And a lot of it. Like 8 hours a lot.

I was out in the sun yesterday and exercising, and was on screens very little in general yesterday.

Last night was a little rough- I think my lack of sleep and food yesterday almost made me faint, but luckily I didn’t. Thank you everyone again so much for your advice.

I’m sure there will be many, many times where I won’t sleep, (this might be a fluke and I don’t want to jinx it 😉) and I’m so grateful to everyone for being so supportive and kind and giving me advice.

I hope everyone here on this thread who also struggles with insomnia is able to get relief soon :redheartpump:

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that you got good sleep yesterday, BellaGooch BellaGooch !

I know for me the reasons that I've not been able to sleep well lately are 1) worries about the coronavirus and 2) not enough stimulation to keep my body and mind tired enough to fall asleep. Sounds like you may have #2 as well, since part of the reasons you got good sleep last nigh was due to exercising!

Keep up the good work and keep exercising!

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
I got sleep last night!!!
And a lot of it. Like 8 hours a lot.

I was out in the sun yesterday and exercising, and was on screens very little in general yesterday.

Last night was a little rough- I think my lack of sleep and food yesterday almost made me faint, but luckily I didn’t. Thank you everyone again so much for your advice.

I’m sure there will be many, many times where I won’t sleep, (this might be a fluke and I don’t want to jinx it 😉) and I’m so grateful to everyone for being so supportive and kind and giving me advice.

I hope everyone here on this thread who also struggles with insomnia is able to get relief soon :redheartpump:
BellaGooch BellaGooch thats wonderful ... i did too

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have sleep issues related to C-PTSD. I cannot go to bed until around 4am. It used to be that I could not go to bed until the sun was coming up, but I rarely feel that way now. (My C-PTSD brain has been mostly convinced that 4 is a "safe" time to sleep. I am not sure why or how.) I wake up at least twice each night. I used to sleep until 10 or 11; however, I have been on a bad stretch lately and have been waking up between 7 and 9 every day for the last few months. I take small naps about once every week or two. I can only take a nap if my husband is home and I am in his game room with him. (Thankfully, I am short! I fit pretty well on the loveseat!)

I take medication to help me sleep, stay asleep, and not have trauma-related nightmares. My doctor is considering increasing the dosage, but my dosage is pretty high as it is.

I cannot sleep in darkness or in silence. White noise does not help, so we have a TV in my studio, which is across the hall from our bedroom.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise