Skyy, This Afternoon

dkperez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s been 10 years, and I’ve tried, but I’ve never been able to go to the Rainbow Bridge and write about Gracie. But, I’m going to try to say a proper goodbye to Skyy.

Ten years ago in June, after we lost Gracie, we went to the shelter. And spent a couple hours with the adult cats. I opened the door to the crate of a beautiful brown tabby, and in her dignified way, Brownie walked over and climbed into my arms.

While we sat on the floor of the large area, visiting with the cats, one tiny dynamo raced around the room, heckling the other cats, and generally being full of energy. Suddenly, she raced over and jumped on my wife Pat’s lap. That was Skyy. She was a tiny gray blur, weighing less than three pounds even though she was over six months old.

So, having been adopted by these two, we spent the next ten years together. They travelled in our RV, ran around the house, dealt with remodeling, and generally brought noise and life to the house.

Skyy was a tiny cat, weighing a little over 5 pounds as an adult, but she had a huge personality. There was nothing she loved more than finding loose items on the island in the kitchen. If she could move it, it ended up on the floor. And she’d stand at the edge and watch it land. You couldn’t yell at her because she looked at you with a big, silly cat grin that said “Did you SEE that. Was that not the coolest thing EVER?” And, of course, once they were on the floor, they were fair game for swatting, chasing, pouncing on, and generally enjoying!

The whole world was a carnival to Skyy. She loved balls and toys that made noise. She loved to hang on my shoulder and get her fur scruffled. In the RV, she slept on Pat’s pillow, battling nightly to see who was going to get the most space. And anywhere there was activity, there was Skyy. Remodeling a bathroom, Skyy was there to help. Fixing something on my computer, I had a gray fur face sitting on me with her head in the box to see what was going on. Pizza delivery, there was Skyy at the door to see what the new excitement was.

Once, while camping in Lanesboro, a red-winged blackbird took up residence outside the back window of the RV. Skyy spent the weekend watching the bird from her perch on the back of the couch, getting ready to pounce, quivering in anticipation, then looking at us as if asking “What’s the deal with the noise black thing out there?”, then turning away and going back to her nap.

She was my first model for cat portraits. And being a complete ham, she was a terrific subject.

For ten years she brought us joy and laughter, and occasionally a sore foot as we discovered some item she’d pushed under a throw rug after knocking it off the counter (trust me, stepping on a AA battery under the rug at 6 a.m. will definitely wake you up.

Recently, she started losing weight. Less than a month ago she was down to 4 ¾ pounds from 5 ½, a large loss for such a tiny cat. The vet ran tests, did blood work, urine tests, and recommended we try a different food and some supplements in the hope that her weight would increase.

Over the last couple weeks, Skyy went from being her normal self to being quieter, not as active, spending a lot more time in one of her cat beds, on Pat’s lap or mine. When we did projects in the house, she no longer raced into wherever we were to make SURE nothing ever got done without her presence.

In the last week, she had a couple episodes where she would make a sort-of hacking cough, gagging noise, and she spent more time just laying on our laps, leaning on my shoulder, or curling up in my arms for long periods. Yesterday, Pat rubbed her throat gently while Skyy lay on her lap, and Skyy let out that loud cough, throat-clearing, gagging noise. So today we went back to the vet.

In the last three weeks, she’d lost ANOTHER half-pound, and the vet wanted to do an x-ray and examination of her throat. He found a bony mass in her throat, into the inner ear area, and said it was making it difficult for her to swallow, that it wasn’t an abscess or something that could be cured by antibiotics or steroids, and was most likely already causing her some pain. He offered to refer us to the U of M vet center, but admitted that the chances were extremely high that it was terminal, and that there wasn’t going to be any good way to make her comfortable so she could eat and play and continue to enjoy life.

So, we made the decision that eventually confronts anyone who is lucky enough to have a companion animal they live with and love. We drove back to the vet and I held Skyy in my arms as she purred while the sedative put her to sleep, then both Pat and I gently rubbed her fur and told her how much we loved her and how much we’ll miss her as they administered the anesthetic. A minute later she was gone.

She gave us so much for ten years, and I hope we reciprocated with love and care. I promised her that as long as either of us has memory, we’ll remember her, just as I remember Gracie every day, and Tigger and Gizmo, who we had for over 20 years before Gracie.

Skyy, you have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge, but your memory will live on in your staff, who love you and miss you.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your lovely story, I too have been in the position of making the "best for them at the time" decision. My heart goes out to you and yours. :alright::grouphug::grouphug2::rbheart::angel::angel3:

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to you cat! It brought tears to my eyes and I am so very that you had to make the decision that you did. I am so happy you got 10 years with her. Hugs to you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, your loving tribute to Skyy gives the reader a rare insight into the character and charm of your precious kitty. Her life would be a good story to read. I am glad that you gave her the blessing of a peaceful passing - my first J.C. had the same symptoms (my heart quailed when I read about her coughing and weight loss) and was put to sleep for cancer at less than 4 years old. My condolences to your family....Skyy will be sorely missed. Now she is over Rainbow Bridge, with the ancestors and the descendants, entertaining Heaven in her own unique way.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A beautiful tribute to a wonderful, sassy girl! With all those wonderful memories you have, she will be kept alive in your heart. I know it hurts so much to have them leave our lives, the emptiness it brings to our homes is overwhelming. But you all developed a wonderful bond, a bond that can never die or be taken from you, for it is spiritual. You know that sweet girl loved life so much she would never want to cause a moment of sadness in yours, she would want you to go on and find the happiness she wants for you, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go.
She depended on you to not let her suffer, she knew you couldn't. It breaks the heart to do so, but you were strong and used the love you had for her to help you through it. Quality of life always comes before quantity.
My heart goes out to you, I too had a sassy girl like yours. Maybe they can find each other and play all those naughty tricks on the others like they did in this life. They ruled our worlds here, they will rule at the Bridge!
Take care of yourself, and thank you for letting us know of this special little girl.........RIP precious Skyy, you will never be forgotten and will always be held in loving hearts. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Princess!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful story and a great tribute to a kitty who was so full of life and who added life to your home, Skyy will live on in your hearts and mind forever.

So sorry for your loss, God Bless......:alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Skyy, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on your family's hearts until you meet again.