Skunk in the garage

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stepped out to the attached garage this morning to feed the "ferals". When I opened the door, there was a skunk looking at me. I quickly backed up and closed the door. Luckily he did not spray. There would have been some food still in the dishes from overnight which is what must have attracted the skunk. My kitties are used to having food out there at night and I just really feel bad if I have to remove the dishes at 8 p.m. If I leave the light on in the garage all night, will this deter the skunk from coming in? He's using the pet door that the kitties use.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Skunks don't actually frighten easily, it's probably not going to spray unless it's actively antagonized.

As far as getting it to move on, yes, they aren't very good climbers so adding shelves or ledges to put the food on would eventually make the Skunk move elsewhere. As long as the food is not where it can reach it has no reason to hang around.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a cast of characters around my house, including skunks, who are really quite beautiful creatures if you observe them. I have only ever had a spraying issue years ago which involved a sweet, but really not bright dog who did not understand that when they stamp their feet, that is the warning.

Try to elevate the cat food if you can. I also have night feeders and that can be a little difficult to manage. Now.....this is not a solution and it depends on your property, location, layout of the place, neighbors etc.....but I have used a decoy bowl for raccoons in a pinch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long before a skunk loses interest when there is no food?

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long before a skunk loses interest when there is no food?
Skunks are very smart, sweet little creatures! They will only use their spray if they feel very threatened. Sometimes they are right outside my front door eating the bird seed that falls from the feeder. I would say that because they are so smart, one week or less for them to decide there is no longer a free lunch!