Skittish Cat / Poop Smell

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two questions in one post
1 how do I get tookie (Spooky) out from under my bed and help her be around people without being scared she runs off when I'm trying to pet her and when people are around I feel so bad. I don't want to give her up she's been in my room for so long I'm still waiting to get her fixed but I don't know how to help her I feel like a bad mom

2nd anyone have a problem with poop smells I scoop her litter and clean her box and my room smells like poop. She doesn't cover it I don't know if its her being a brat of she's lazy help

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@Spookyandsammy,

Some cats are just afraid of strangers or new people in the house and it's natural. It may take some time for them to get use to people or if they do not, they are actually observing from a distance.

My boy does that too for example, a maintenance guy comes into the house and he'll go hide and observe the guy from a distance and when my boy is outside the house and he sees a neighbor coming out from their house or hears a sound, he'll run straight home.

As for the poop smell, it's best to ventilate the room and have the fan on or windows open so that the smell of the poop can escape out the window and after that, you may close the window and probably ket the fan run for a little while to get all the poop smell out.

But if you talking about when she poop and there's no one is at home, you may lime to install an exhaust fan to draw out the poop smell.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give your cat shelves and cat trees to perch upon, and then block off access to going under the bed and other furniture will get her to perch instead of hide. Teaching her tricks will increase her confidence.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Barley, also does not cover his poop. Instead of the litter, he scratches on the wall of the litter box, leaving his poop still exposed. When I am in the house, I scoop it immediately.

Besides having exhausts or ventilations as mentioned above, there are litter deodorizers that you can buy as well.

As for your cat hiding, give it time. Cats will come to you at their own phase. And some cats are never comfortable with other people besides the ones they see in their home, thus they retreat when visitors come in, or other times they get aggressive. It is important that your cat be given the privacy or solitude that she needs. Once she knows that she is safe she will come around.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Didn't you say you had a spay appointment scheduled back in May? Can A House Cat Turn Feral?

When exactly is the appointment? Is this with the SPCA? Can you look for another low cost spay / neuter clinic that can fit your cat in sooner?

A poor quality food, particularly dry food, can make poop super stinky. A better quality food can help. Keep the litter box clean and the room well ventilated. You can also sprinkle a little plain baking soda into the litter to help control odors.

Some cats just don't like strangers. Forcing the cat to be present for strangers will just make the cat stressed out and even more scared. If your cat wants to hide from strangers, then let her hide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a air conditioner in my room right now and a fan on still doesn't help. Even if I spray doesn't kill the smell

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Give your cat shelves and cat trees to perch upon, and then block off access to going under the bed and other furniture will get her to perch instead of hide. Teaching her tricks will increase her confidence.
She has chairs she plays on she has a spot near the AC unit

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Didn't you say you had a spay appointment scheduled back in May? Can A House Cat Turn Feral?

When exactly is the appointment? Is this with the SPCA? Can you look for another low cost spay / neuter clinic that can fit your cat in sooner?

A poor quality food, particularly dry food, can make poop super stinky. A better quality food can help. Keep the litter box clean and the room well ventilated. You can also sprinkle a little plain baking soda into the litter to help control odors.

Some cats just don't like strangers. Forcing the cat to be present for strangers will just make the cat stressed out and even more scared. If your cat wants to hide from strangers, then let her hide.
Yes. Still waiting. And I bathe her box in baking soda. And I scoop right away when it's just her and I she is right with me purring but when her sister sandwich is around I don't matter but at night she hides under the bed I'm trying to find something to block it off I have boxes and I have cover my basket with a blanket for her to hide in

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
And I pulled out my dresser draw for her to hide in too I wanna get shelving. And get rid of the chairs so she will have more room

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has chairs she plays on she has a spot near the AC unit
To change her mindset from hiding to observing, the perch or tower needs to put her into a position above everyone else and out of reach of her perceived danger - just like a leopard. I like to think of it as being similar to how ancient Siamese cats who were used for protecting the royals had tall posts and cat walks up in the palace ceilings and behind royal thrones, in order for them to launch attacks. Some members take away the bedframe and put the mattress & box spring on the floor until the issue is solved. Thin boxes and rolled blankets can be used to cordon off under dressers and couches. But there needs to be safe places for kitty to hide and be safe - if she is shy around strangers, it's best to respect that.
You could use the chair as the training spot. Training is an amazing confidence builder. I would begin training by getting her to follow the command "up" and giving her a treat & lavish praise. From there, you can advance to a trick that she wants to do. "Tail whips" are a favorite with my cats but some cats prefer to sit and shake paws or give "high 5s". "Circles" are easy to teach as well.
Please keep us posted on how things are going. And please let me know how training
works out and what tricks work for you. Hey, maybe we can start a "cat training" thread! I got introduced to the concept while watching the Friskies Cat Team at the 2001 San Diego Cat Show. The cat trainers were very approachable and held a Q&A session.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
The funny thing is she knows stay like when I have to leave the room I'm like stay and hold my hand out like this ✋ and say stay she stays. And I say good girl. As I leave and say goodbye bye and I love you see you later. She does wait on the chair by the door Im gonna try to block it off but theirs other places she can hide too so I'm frustrated

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
To change her mindset from hiding to observing, the perch or tower needs to put her into a position above everyone else and out of reach of her perceived danger - just like a leopard. I like to think of it as being similar to how ancient Siamese cats who were used for protecting the royals had tall posts and cat walks up in the palace ceilings and behind royal thrones, in order for them to launch attacks. Some members take away the bedframe and put the mattress & box spring on the floor until the issue is solved. Thin boxes and rolled blankets can be used to cordon off under dressers and couches. But there needs to be safe places for kitty to hide and be safe - if she is shy around strangers, it's best to respect that.
You could use the chair as the training spot. Training is an amazing confidence builder. I would begin training by getting her to follow the command "up" and giving her a treat & lavish praise. From there, you can advance to a trick that she wants to do. "Tail whips" are a favorite with my cats but some cats prefer to sit and shake paws or give "high 5s". "Circles" are easy to teach as well.
Please keep us posted on how things are going. And please let me know how training
works out and what tricks work for you. Hey, maybe we can start a "cat training" thread! I got introduced to the concept while watching the Friskies Cat Team at the 2001 San Diego Cat Show. The cat trainers were very approachable and held a Q&A session.
She knows stay and I also she has chairs she lays on and other things she loves to climb on top of