Skipper died suddenly, am having a difficult time with the grief process

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
8 months after having Sebastian die in my arms, Skipper has passed away suddenly. The other morning I came downstairs and Deb said "we have to keep an eye on Skipper, he's crying a lot", and he was, and when I went down to see him he jogged upstairs, so I got the string toy out and he played a bit and ate treats so I thought that was a good sign, but he started howling again and I thought "that's it, you're going to the vet", but you know when the carrier comes out he and the others all ran and he hid under the sofa and Deb had left for work so I couldn't get him myself but I told him "if you're not better tonight you're going", and we did end up taking him that night.

We were concerned about possible blockage but he peed in the carrier on the way down, but he had had cystitis in 2013 and she noticed some blood either on the back of the carrier or somewhere else, so they gave him an antibiotic shot and an anti inflammatory shot thinking maybe he was getting a UTI, but the bloodwork and x-rays showed no signs of problems. I did tell her that I saw him with his head to the left and he was kind of "chewing" at the air, my wife said he did it on the way down too and she said it could've been a neurological problem, but we brought him home that night thinking it would just take a few days to kick in and help him.

But he cried that night, so pitiful, we felt so helpless and heartbroken not being able to relieve his pain, he cried the next morning too and actually let us pet him which he normally didn't do, and his brother Slim was washing him but he kept crying and we just thought he was still hurting and went to work. When we came home, Deb found him dead on the living room floor, poop and pee and vomit around him and all the cats were hiding, we were shocked and devastated....we did all that we could for him, took him right away that same day to the vet, but we can't believe it, just so sad.

He was one of many that we took in from our backyard years ago, and he was in bad shape as he had cellulitis as something had bitten him. The vet told us "you saved his life, he would've died", so he had about 7 great years inside with us, he was about 8 years old. He was never a people cat, he let us pet him only when HE wanted us too, he hung out with his brother and sister and some of the others but you couldn't just walk up to him and pet him, he would run away, but that is how he was and we loved and accepted him for it, he had all that he wanted and all that he needed, he didn't want or need anything from us, but he would play laser light with Deb and string toy with me and I would give him treats, we never ignored him but he was just more of a loner or private cat.

I now struggle and feel guilty and the last two nights I have woken up and had almost panic attacks and crying and saying "I wish I would've known him better, I wish I would've loved him more", think about a few times when he nastlily chased Sylvester whom we brought in 6 months ago and tried to show him what it felt like to be chased and stalked by chasing him for a few seconds, but I did that to a few of the others too if they chased Sylvester and maybe that wasn't right but I let it go and just said "now stop it, we have to get along", and he was fine after that, he understood and it was dropped, he didn't avoid me or wasn't afraid of me after that we were back to normal but I dwell on those bad things and I guess that is normal.

I talked to other people who were in that and similar situations and they said they have done things like that too, you just get so mad but they forget it faster than humans do....I feel so sad that he wasn't a people cat, but Deb comforts me and tells me "you didn't hurt him, you played with him, he knew you loved him, you are dwelling on a few bad things when you should be looking at all the good things you/we did for him" and she is right, we gave him a great life here and he had food and shelter and cat companionship and love. I think I am dealing with the guilt and bad thoughts because of it being a normal part of the grief process, and feel bad that we couldn't help him more than we did, but he must've had something like a stroke or blood clot neurologically like the vet said to have something so sudden and catastrophic kill him, and he was only about 8 which someone said "it's better to have a good short life than a bad long one".

Thank you for listening, I just have to realize that thinking about a few bad things rather than focusing on many good things is just the guilt and grief, and it has to work out of my mind and will take time. The fact that we weren't closer to him hurts too, but we tried but he didn't want it that way, he was happy and had all he wanted or needed in this life but I am beating myself up over not knowing him better.....

R.I.P Skipper our handsome boy....we will play string toys again one day.....we both loved you....

Last edited by a moderator:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your losses.  Our babies are never with us long enough and no one is ever ready to say goodbye.  You gave Skipper what he wanted most in his brief time with you love and a secure home.  I understand the guilt you are going through.  I lost a cat to a stroke myself.  I went through the guilt and the blame phase myself too.  My cat had a stroke when I was unemployed and went to visit a friend for the day.  I kept blaming myself for being gone because maybe if I had been home I would have been able to notice something was wrong before it happened.  My vet told me that me being home would not have changed anything. Strokes happen without any warning or signs they are about to happen.  I could have been hanging out with him and nothing would have changed.  It is very hard to let go of the guilt and blame but it will happen over time.  You did everything you could for Skipper.  It took a lot of coaxing from my friends and people on this site to stop blaming myself and let go of the guilt. I had to move through this phase of grief in my own time and the same applies to you.

You gave Skipper love and a home on his terms and that is one of the best gifts we can give our fur kids.  Skipper knows how much you love him and that bond will never be broken.  The bond of love we form with our babies will always live on in a special place in our hearts through the memories of the times we shared together. Our babies also take a piece of our heart with them when they leave.  This holds our love for them  when it is their time to go to the rainbow bridge.  Be kind to yourself while you are grieving and take care of yourself.  Grief is a very individual process and happens at it's own pace.  I hope you find peace soon and know you have nothing to blame yourself for.  You did nothing wrong here.  I had to keep repeating that to myself for a long time before it sunk in.

Hugs to you and your wife during this difficult time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Skipper is now at peace, if a vet didn't find what was wrong with him, then how can you blame yourself? Grief always seems to bring on all those should haves, could haves, but dwelling on something you had no control over changes nothing and only brings heartache. Skipper would be the last one to want you to be so sad when remembering him. You gave him love, yes on his conditions, but that only made it more special. He had a wonderful home and you made his life much more with you in it. Try to concentrate on what he brought into your life, he brought you companionship and joy, and he loved you for who you are, flaws and all, just as you loved him. Now is the time to grieve over losing that special boy, but it is also a time to celebrate knowing him and realizing that the bond you have forged will allow you to always have a part of him within your heart, he will always be with you until the day you die. Let your happier memories comfort you, time is the only thing that helps to soften the pain of a broken heart. Don't weep over losing him, his earthly body may be laid to rest, but the 'essence' of sweet Skipper will be around you for all of eternity, he is really never gone, his light will shine down from that beautiful star that is his new home in the heavens, where he will send his love until you meet again. He and Sebastian are having a joyful reunion at the Rainbow Bridge, joining the countless others who await their own joyful reunions with those who miss them so much. Thank you for your beautiful tribute for such a special boy, I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, take care.......RIP sweet Skipper, you will be so very missed by the family that loved you so much,but know you will be held forever more in a loving hearts!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so very much for your heartfelt messages, they really help and mean a lot to us. I guess grief comes out in many strange ways, like people who burst out laughing at viewings or funerals, people have strange ways of dealing with things, and I guess my strange way is that I think "I should have been able to do more for them, tried harder etc.", but I KNOW in my mind that I did all that I could, and sometimes these things are just meant to be, it isn't in the plans for me to "save" them, their Earthly time is up and they must go. When Simon passed May 2014 from stomach cancer, I couldn't stand to be in the dark or in a closed door room or in the shower, I felt like I was suffocating, that was the grief. When Sebastian died in my arms last November, I replayed it many times in my head and just didn't feel "right", felt like everything in my life had changed. Now with Skipper, I guess I feel the grief by thinking "I wish I had known him better", but like we said he really didn't want that from us and he was happy the way that he lived, so I will just have to deal with it and let the grief work it's way out and this must be the way it will do that. Again, when I wake up around 3 in the morning it hits me hard, and again I feel a bit strange in the dark, feels like it is closing in on me, but I know with time that feeling too shall pass. And we have 9 more to go.....

Deb looked it up, he was only 7, too young. Simon was about 12 or 13, Sebastian was almost 16, Skipper only 7. You never know what life will throw at you I guess....

Thanks again for the way you cared, we both appreciate the kind words, thoughts and prayers....

Oh, and when I was outside tonight a little white feather appeared right next to where I was working, just seemed to "flip" over inches away from where I was working. We have a whole mugful of white feathers from over the years when friends and family have passed, feathers that appeared literally out of nowhere so we couldn't miss them, and this one did the same thing. It is very small, but it was like he was, not really in the forefront but you couldn't not notice it. To us, that is a sign that he is happy and letting us know it....

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That is very sweet about the feather and the sign you got from Skipper.  

Rest in peace, sweet kitty.  

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of Skipper.  
  You gave him 7 years of love.  He knew he was loved, safe and well cared for with your family.

RIP precious Skipper.  

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you jcat.....he looked very much like the black cat in your picture....

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss!  I have no words really, but please don't feel guilty or do the "I wish I had" to yourself.  You gave him love, the most important gift of all!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies, they really help. I know that we did all the right things, and I keep trying in my mind to envision how beautiful it must be where he is at now, and how happy and relieved he is that he is not in pain anymore. I think Deb and I both just have a hard time letting it go, feeling that we were his caretakers and feel like the time that we were supposed to take care of him isn't supposed to be up yet, but for whatever reason it is. She is feeling it pretty much today, it comes and goes as you know, but he was loved and like someone said he was "safe", and the woman who trapped him in 2009 to have him and the rest neutered said "he was lucky to have a good indoor life with you and Deb".

I just wish that it was for another 8 years, but I'm not in control of that....

Thank you....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What bothers Deb the most and also affects me is that we are so upset that his last 2 days here with us he was suffering and we really couldn't do anything to ease his pain except to take him to the vet. We just hope that his ending here wasn't too violent or painful, we hope that he peacefully went to sleep, but we have to have faith that he is fine now and we know he is, he is being taken care of by MANY sweet Angels; I just wish that we had more Earthly time with the little guy.

This takes time as we know to come to terms with and work through, and we are doing that. Thanks again for the support, it helps to "converse" with people who understand and care......

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to update, the other night Deb was sitting out on the back porch, and out of the blue a white feather came down in front of her and went to the right; she said "is that you, Skipper?", and another feather white with some black on it came down and went in the same direction. She looked up and all around, and there were no birds in sight, so that was a signal from Heaven saying "hi, it's okay, I'm alright".....

And you know how people say when someone dies if it rains or snows it means  they are happy? Well, it rained quite a bit the days after he passed, hard at times, so I am happy to know that he is doing alright....

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the devastating loss of Skipper, @Les26.  
   I definitely understand what you are going through. I lost the feline love of my life, Sebastian, five months ago, and I still cycle through the stages of grief. It gets better with time. The guilt and questioning and what ifs are all part of the process. 
  I'm glad that you and Deb are supporting each other through this.

Rest in peace, Skipper. You are now free of pain. 

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
les26 les26 I am so sorry for your loss of Skipper, a kitty so young.
How tragic and heartbreaking. We just never know how long we will have these precious kitties in our life. Each day with them is so very precious. You loved Skipper and he knew that. He loved you just as much. You accepted him for who he was and loved him on his own terms. I just know he loved you for that. I only hope you can remember him with smiles and know how good his life was because of you and your family.
RIP Sweet Skipper!
You were a one of a kind kitty and will remain in your loved ones hearts for eternity!