Skin reaction to Revolution Flea control

cat marcum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had 3 of the feral cats fixed in November and brought them inside while they recovered. They stayed in one room and the boys were neutered on a Friday and released on Sunday morning.  Tippy Toes was a spay so she had to stay inside longer and of course we fell in love with her and decided to keep her.  Since Tipper was 7 months old and feral for all those months I kept her in the same room for about 7 days to make sure she was fully recovered from her surgery.  The vets had given all 3 of the cats Capstar pills and not knowing much about the pill I assumed they were flea less. WRONG! We started flea combing Tipper after she was scratching in December and I started getting fleas off her. We started cleaning and steam cleaning the floors and I gave Tipper a couple of doses of Capstar.   I took her to the vet in February for her feline leukemia test and shot and spoke to the vet who recommended Revolution.  They went ahead and treated her and she had no reaction to the medicine and we noticed the fleas were getting less and less.  She is strictly an indoor cat and the feral cats do not come into the house at all and we feed them off the back porch. I wash my hands and change my clothes whenever I feed them.  So Tipper still had some fleas on her after combing her 3 times a day but all the fleas are very tiny and maybe just getting 2 to 3 a day.  I took her back to the vet on Saturday for her booster shot and the vet said we could go ahead with another dose of the Revolution since it was in early February since the last one.  Well, she did great again until I was brushing her Monday and noticed a bald spot in the area of the treatment.  I called the vet and they said the medicine was already in her system so to wash off the area with warm water which I did.  Has anyone else used Revolution and had this type of reaction?  I did check it out on the computer before it was given to her and read that this was a side effect. Also when they put it on her this time it seemed like the vet assistant was pushing down hard on the tip of the applicator when she applied it.   Tippers fur was still parted when I got her home and they told me not to touch that area for 2 hours.  I am just hoping maybe this application will be the end of the fleas and I can not use anything in the future since she is an indoor kept cat.  Just hate seeing that spot and hoping the fur will come back.  

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
This just sometimes happens with flea/tick preventatives. The fur will grow back, when you stop using the preventative. This might take a few weeks, cat fur grows pretty slowly.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Aby is allergic to Revolution, too. He used to get bald spots in places other than the application area. The vet switched my cat to a different product.

Your cat's hair will grow back so don't worry
Ask the vet for a different flea preventative to use in the future. Advantage and Frontline are two other brands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat marcum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will definitely plan to do that. I just hope maybe this would be the end of the line for those pest and she won't have to have any additional treatment but if she does we will definitely use something different. Thanks for the reply and yes cat hair is so fine it does take time for it to grow back.