Skin Infection on Cats chest area.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I'm Forry and I'm new to the forum , this is my first post. I am having a little trouble with a cat I took in,he's a beautiful Tabby but has an itchy little patch on his chest. I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what this might be.He is constantly licking his skin and seems very itchy. I would love to take him to Vet,but not sure that is possible immediately. I will post a couple of pictures. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you so much.Yes of course I can get chamomile tea.I was thinking that I could possibly get an anti fungal shampoo at petsmart? Could you recommend a shampoo? Thanks again.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,and thank you again. I'm not scared, I just want to help relieve some of his itching. I was thinking possibly a yeast infection, but I believe it might be Ringworm now.Well,I will try the chamomile tea and look around for a good antifungal shampoo for now.I appreciate your advice so much. I will work on getting him to the vet,which he needs.Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could also try the Lime Sulfur dip.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you are right.Hopfully I can find a vet willing to work with me on a treatment and pay plan.Thank you so much.i really like the forum!

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am going through an issue with my cat where he is very itchy. I gave him his first bath with Micoseb shampoo a couple of days ago and he was very good and gave me no problems. The problem I had was not covering his entire body with the shampoo, I think because it was my first time bathing him I was a little scared of what might happen, so got most of shampoo on his head and neck and back and underside on one particular bad lesion he has.so far,it seems to be helpful. There is hair already growing back around the lesion and he's not liking it constantly! I had made the mistake of trimming the hair around the lesion and then he seemed to lick it much more.
Another thing I noticed was that I needed to remove a flea collar I had on him and that also seemed to be very helpful in relieving a lot of itching. It was a cheap Haarzt collar which I probably should never have put on him.So I am watching him closely and we will have another bath I think in a few days,but so far I see a slight improvement.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,there is just one thing I wanted to add.I am noticing that he becomes itchy during or after physical activity. During our play time, he is very excited and responsive to play, but he will stop right in the middle of chasing his toy to lick his arm or hindquarters. Like he's really itchy. The shampoo has helped a little when he is resting and not physically active. Also he sometimes becomes very itchy after eating. So I don't really understand why this is.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are pictures taken three days after the micoseb shampoo bath. I made sure to get plenty of shampoo on this area and he's no longer licking it.I can see some hair regrowth,but I also see these really tiny black specks on the skin.im not sure what that is.The actual lesion is drying up.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not seeing black specs, but that might just be from the pic, not doubting that they are there. I wonder if the itching after eating or playing is because he is awake and alert and more aware of it.

Do you think that this is resolving itself with the shampoo that you are using? Did he come with these spots when you took him in, or did they appear after? Or you have not had him that long and the time frames could overlap?

Avoid using Hartz flea or skin care products entirely. They do not have a good track record. I wonder if this was part of the problem.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,thank you.Its possible the itching is because he is more awake and alert at the time.i wish I knew. I'm just not sure it's been enough time for me to know if it's resolving. We've only done one shampoo, and I would say it did help.As far as I can tell,there is only the one little lesion, which is the one in the pictures and it was there when I took him in,I believe. I noticed it by rubbing and petting him a few days after he was here. He is not neutered yet,so I am wondering if that could have anything to do with it?or possibly a behavioral issue? We had a little issue yesterday when I tried to adjust his food.he was not happy at all and let me know. 😊

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Usually this is not a question of having spayed or neutered a cat. Cats can become anxious or upset which can cause scratching or a skin condition. Food allergies are often another culprit, especially chicken based food. If you are seeing results with the shampoo, keep it up according to directions and see if it clears up. The rest of his coat, in the pics, looks quite healthy.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am feeding him a chicken based diet.He gets Purina Beyond White meat chicken and egg dry food,and I have been giving him about 3-4 oz of Wellness Chicken entree pate,which he went crazy for.Do you think I should cut back on the chicken? Could you recommend a substitute food? By the way,if your picture is Fiona, she is beautiful!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Lily is a very pretty kitty! Thank you for the articles and advice. I know he probably needs to be neutered, but I'm concerned it could change his personality and disposition which is so loving and kind.He's a very good kitty. Thank you!